Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Rain Gauge not sensing rain

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
Sneezy24

Rain Gauge not sensing rain

Post by Sneezy24 »

Hi folks,

I've got a Maplin W-1081 - had it for quite a few years.

Humidity sensor has not worked for a couple of years, not too bothered about that, but it has now stopped sensing rain!

I have the 'old' style rain-gauge unit (with holes, not grids under the bucket). Electronically it works (if I tip the buckets by hand then it registers on the base unit and in Cumulus. If I pour water in through the lid, it registers and records OK.

However, when it rains - NOTHING!

I've cleaned the whole rain unit, cleaned out the spiders and webs, ensured the sky is clear above (as in no trees!) but still no rain.

I KNOW it rained last night (I'm in Wokingham, it poured all evening and has only just stopped).

Any ideas??

I think it might be time to replace my whole station...
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Rain Gauge not sensing rain

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Possibly the rain is also getting into the cable/connectors. The "pull-up" current from the transmitter is very low (~25 uA) so a slight leakage (through water) can "short-out" the rain sensor switch. However, it happens that my own FO station has a very similar fault, which needed a multimeter to identify:

In my case, even with the Rain cable unplugged, the voltage being output across the "Rain" connector pins is only about 1.25 volts (which is very close to the switch sensing voltage) instead of the expected 3 volts (from the two AA cells). So sometimes it registers rain tips and sometimes it doesn't. Therefore, I plan to "open up" the transmitter box and add a pull-up resistor (from the switch pin to the + battery line). 100 kohms would give a current similar to the design value, but 10k might give more reliable operation, with negligible drain on the battery, since current only flows whilst the seesaw is actually tipping.

Cheers, Alan.
Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

Thanks,

But it works if I pour water through it, and tipping the bucket by hand works.

If I pour water through it will it is raining - it works.....

Baffled!!
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

But if you pour water through it, you're only getting the cone and the tippers wet (and whatever gets wet during the tipper emptying). If it's raining, then the whole unit gets wet.
Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

I tried poring water through when it was raining (hard! anorak with hood needed) and it senses the poured water, but not rain!
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

So ... does it register if you dribble water into the funnel ?
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

Yes!