Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Wind directions

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Wind directions

Post by steve »

On every Cumulus wind direction graph I've looked at from a Fine Offset station, you could be forgiven for thinking that it was plotting random numbers. Even when there's a decent breeze blowing.

Does anyone think this is a bug in Cumulus, or is the wind vane really that erratic?
Steve
Bob
Weather Station: Watson W-8681

Re: Wind directions

Post by Bob »

Hi Steve,

Well i tmoves about a bit but I think we can see where the wind was coming from...see attached

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

That's better than many I've seen, but your individual plots are still a bit scattered. The average line looks reasonable, though.

Probably enough to convince me it's not a bug in Cumulus :)
Steve
Tony
Weather Station: Watson W-8681 (Fine Offset)
Operating System: Windows10

Post by Tony »

Hi Steve,

My chart looks the same as Bob's. Sometimes the wind vane rotates as fast as the anemometer cups, the cross-sectional area of the "pointer" must be approaching that of the fin!

If I ever have to take mine down I'd like to try and modify it a little or even just try some thick grease on the ball-bearing the wind vane sits on to damp things down a bit (I seem to remember a ball bearing when I put it together.)

Tony.
G4HZW
http://www.zen55853.zen.co.uk/camera/coffee_1.htm
harrym1byt
Weather Station: WH 1081 (EasyWeather type)
Operating System: Win10

Post by harrym1byt »

My graph is very random and in part I was blaming it on the vane just seeming to rotate wildly in light winds. It does seem to settle its direction better as the wind speed increases. I'm looking at all sorts of solutions to improve it...

1. Thick grease on the bearing.

2. Make the tail surface area larger

3. Glueing a magnet on the post and 16x bits of paperclips on the rotor (at the compass points) to make it stay put until the wind is strong enough to move it.

4. Again a magnet on the rotor, but several turns of tranformer wire with shorted ends on the pole - to act like a genorator with its output shorted.
arthurhh
Weather Station: Davis VP pro 2
Operating System: Win7

Post by arthurhh »

No problem with Cumulus, the wind vane is of poor design, I hope to get my quality control graphs going between my two stations and then experiment with the vane.
http://tokoroa.dyndns.org/ Main Site

IT Fixer