Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Lose Wind Average after closing Cumulus

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
wheels
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1081
Operating System: XP

Lose Wind Average after closing Cumulus

Post by wheels »

Hi,
Great wee program.
Have been up and running for a month.
Just a couple of questions
1/ I seem to lose the Average Wind Speed on the graphs when I close Cumulus? A bit of pain when Mr.W.Gates wants a restart after a update.
2/Can WXSIM or similar forecast program able to read the Cumulus data file or can Cumulus generate a readable file?
Thanks Wayne
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Lose Wind Average after closing Cumulus

Post by steve »

wheels wrote:1/ I seem to lose the Average Wind Speed on the graphs when I close Cumulus? A bit of pain when Mr.W.Gates wants a restart after a update.
That's a bit odd. It rebuilds the wind speed graph from the log file at startup. It looks OK on your web site right now, does it not happen all the time?
Can WXSIM or similar forecast program able to read the Cumulus data file or can Cumulus generate a readable file?
Thanks Wayne
I think WXSIM would need to change to understand the format, and I don't know if Cumulus can generate a suitable file. As WXSIM isn't free I didn't have the inclination to investigate. Are there any similar free programs?
Steve
wheels

Post by wheels »

Sorry my mistake it is the average wind direction that it loses the plot.
Yes it happens every time when I close cumulus. the blue average dot copy's the red direction dots. Its not a big problem as the graphs new data comes in they are correct, so only a problem for 24 hours.
Would fully uninstalling the program and reinstalling correct it?
Thanks Wayne
Wayne's Weather Watch
Otatara New Zealand
http://homepages.xnet.co.nz/~wheels/weather/index.htm
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Ah, wind direction, right :)

The problem is that the station only supplies one wind direction, and during normal running, Cumulus generates the 10-minute average from that. At startup, though, Cumulus reads the one supplied wind direction from the history log, and then plots it. Cumulus itself doesn't actually store the calculated average direction in its logs anyway, so even if you closed down and started up again straight away, there would be nothing available to plot.

I will probably change Cumulus to start storing the average wind direction as part of this database scheme that I want to do. This won't help if, say, you closed Cumulus down at night and then started it up again the next morning, as the logger wouldn't have the average directions. I suppose Cumulus could generate the average directions from the history log, but since (at best) there's only one value stored in the logger every 5 minutes, there's not much to make an average from.

Did any of that waffle make sense?
Steve
wheels

Post by wheels »

Yes some of it.
Not a big problem.
Thanks for letting us play around with the the default web pages it is making it so much easier for newbies like me to learn about creating web pages, by changing existing one and see what effects it has. Rather than diving in in the deep end. Now to check out how to add more sensors using one wire networks.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne's Weather Watch
Otatara New Zealand
http://homepages.xnet.co.nz/~wheels/weather/index.htm