Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Air Pressure Sensor - WH1080

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
cancunia
Weather Station: fine offset
Operating System: RPI B+

Air Pressure Sensor - WH1080

Post by cancunia »

Has anyone replaced the air pressure sensor in a WH / WS 1080? Mine has failed and from the looks of pictures kindly posted from the insides, this looks to be a fairly standard component. I've had a look in this part of the forum but cannot see any relevant threads, if I missed something a redirection would also be welcome.

Thanks
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Air Pressure Sensor - WH1080

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,
cancunia wrote:this looks to be a fairly standard component.
Well, they nearly all use a "two wire" serial data bus (basically a Clock line and a Data line), but there are many different types (the two most common being I2C and SPI). Then there are all the possible different addresses, data rates, register formats, protocols, etc.. So I would be surprised if you can find a simple "drop in" replacement for the "FO" sensor. It's often quite difficult to even find a detailed specification for devices sold on ebay.

Some of the modules used in FO stations appear to be made by the Chinese company "Hope RF" (which appears to be linked to FO in some way, if not actually the same company). Unfortunately, Hope RF modules don't seem to be available on the open market in small quantities, so I don't hold out much hope (!) for being able to obtain any (new) replacement modules. Maybe a pressure sensor can be salvaged from an old/dead Console?

Cheers, Alan.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Has it definitely failed, or has it just gone miles out of calibration? There have been several reports of that happening, it happened to mine. I had to put a massive offset into Cumulus to bring it back, but once I did that it seemed to be accurate enough again. The offset was too big to put into the console or via EasyWeather, so it never displayed correctly on the console again.
cancunia

Post by cancunia »

Unfortunately the value being transmitted looks to be constantly at zero, the display is showing the same. It could be a dry joint, I'll take a look at some point but will leave it for now just in case it decides to start again. If there's no easy replacement out there it probably won't do any harm to leave it a while.
cancunia

Post by cancunia »

AllyCat wrote:Hi,

Some of the modules used in FO stations appear to be made by the Chinese company "Hope RF" (which appears to be linked to FO in some way, if not actually the same company). Unfortunately, Hope RF modules don't seem to be available on the open market in small quantities, so I don't hold out much hope (!) for being able to obtain any (new) replacement modules. Maybe a pressure sensor can be salvaged from an old/dead Console?

Cheers, Alan.

Many thanks for the tip, looks to be one of these in my FO:

http://www.hoperf.com/sensor/barometer_16/HP03S.htm
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Quite an old thread (however the ".. inside of WH1081" thread is even older), but I happened across this specification for the pressure sensor used in at least SOME of the Fine Offset Consoles. They do appear to be available as "spares" on the "open market" (ebay, AliExpress, etc.) if required, but IMHO at unrealistically high prices, particularly compared with the Bosch BMP180/280, etc. pre-assembled on a "breakout" board.

Cheers, Alan.
pernaczy
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH 2080, TFA Spring
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by pernaczy »

One month ago I've put this "HP03S" (bought on Alliexpress) into my Fine Offest WH2080. It doesn't work properly. The difference between this station and the new one is about 140 hPa (absolute pressure). In theory it can be eliminated by setting an offset caloibrating "relative pressure" on the station but it also react wrongly to the changes of pressure. Maybe this HP03S I've bought is damaged or maybe there is a need for some additional calibration to the sensor itself but I'm not skilled enough to do this.
Piotr
The day when I have learned something is not the lost one.
Ignorance can be corrected with the help of a book. Stupidity requires a shotgun and a shovel.