Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Replacing temp sensor/transmitter

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
bnwrx
Weather Station: Ambient WS2095 (Fine/Offset)
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Replacing temp sensor/transmitter

Post by bnwrx »

I had some crazy spikes in temp yesterday. IE:=129.4f and -29f. Replaced the batteries in the transmitter. Still continued with 5-8 degree swings in the temp in a 2-3 minute span. Suspect its the temp sensor inside the transmitter. Now I have no temp reading on the console, but do have humidity reading. Anyway, will try to get a new transmitter.
My question is, it will be some time before a new unit arrives, and there will be a lapse in data of several days. How will Cumulua handle this lapse? Can I make any edits to fill in these gaps?

Thanks for any thoughts
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Replacing temp sensor/transmitter

Post by steve »

If you're still running but have no outside temperature, you need to be aware of this - http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#Cumulu ... eb_uploads

Cumulus will probably record zero for the temperature if it's completely absent.

If you want to edit the files, the formats are in the wiki, and there are built in editors in Cumulus for all but the monthly log files.
Steve
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Bob,

How old is your station? The transmitters in stations over a few years old can produce crazy temperature readings if any moisture gets into the WIND cable or connectors (yes really! ). So a test of removing the wind cable input at the transmitter can be worthwhile.

Later stations appear to use the humidity sensor module to report also the external temperature, so with these, one might expect both to "fail" at the same time.

Cheers, Alan.
bnwrx

Post by bnwrx »

Allycat, thanks for that info.....Right now, I have all readings except temp. I took apart the transmitter, cleaned out some dust/debris, put it back together and it seemed to be working. Didn't notice any moisture anywhere. After about 15 minutes the temp sensor stopped and has not reported a temp for over an hour. I just now ordered a replacement transmitter/sensor.

EDIT: Sorry, unit is 6+ years old....
bnwrx

Post by bnwrx »

A side note to this....In addition to this sensor malfunctioning, my web service also is having issues....Since the 1st week of July, it has been very "unstable". They installed a new server, which has proven to be "contentious" at best. It does not allow FTP updates on a regular basis, and at other times my website won't load at all. Whats' that they say...When it rains, it pours!! :cry:
bnwrx

Post by bnwrx »

AllyCat wrote:Hi Bob,

How old is your station? The transmitters in stations over a few years old can produce crazy temperature readings if any moisture gets into the WIND cable or connectors (yes really! ). So a test of removing the wind cable input at the transmitter can be worthwhile.

Later stations appear to use the humidity sensor module to report also the external temperature, so with these, one might expect both to "fail" at the same time.

Cheers, Alan.
UPDATE: I did disassemble/re-assemble the transmitter unit, inserted the batteries, it was working. After a few minutes, I re-installed it to its location, inserted the cables(wind and rain), then the display no longer showed the temp, but did indicate wind speed(very calm) but no directional arrows. I then thought it was the temp sensor. I ordered a new one. Then your response came. This morning I unplugged the wind cable AND the temp is NOW WORKING AGAIN!!!??? Not quite sure what to do next.....I do have a re-placement anemometer unit, I could install. When I get time, I'll check the wind cable, I do have an "extension" on that run, with a "coupler" inserted to extend the cable. That "coupler" is still "sealed" as far a I can see, from the weather, but you never know. Is there a thread on this Forum about this issue? I haven't found it..

Thanks

EDIT: Upon further inspection of the wind cable, it appears a "critter"(squirrel?) has chewed at the cable, a 4 wire telephone cable, and has exposed 1 on the inner wires. This might be the root of this issue......
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Bob,
bnwrx wrote:Is there a thread on this Forum about this issue?
There is a large number of threads concerning external "Temperature Spikes" and some of those appear to have been due to the Wind cable. I usually mention the situation when anybody reports External Temperature issues.

Basically, the "old" stations have a thermistor which "shares" an A-D Converter with the wind vane (which also takes the form of a variable resistance). The design is such that the input to the ADC is always connected to one of the Vane conductors, so any leakage current to earth or from the Anemometer cables can produce a crazy temperature value. The effect on the wind direction displayed will be only a "wrong" direction or at worst a "-".

You may find that a "replacement" Transmitter will not actually work with an "old" Console. Fine Offset have also changed the "Wireless Protocol" so that the Console may not "understand" what a new transmitter is sending it. It might be possible to replace just the thermistor, if the problem proves not to be the cable.

Cheers, Alan.
bnwrx

Post by bnwrx »

Alan, thanks for all your input. I'm still diagnosing the problem. With the wind cable not inserted, temp works. I tried using a temporary cable, temp stops. Then I unwrapped the coupler and found moisture(UGH!!) Then looked at cable from the wind unit and found corrosion. Tried cleaning up that mess and it seemed to work initially, but no, it stopped after a minute. Thought about putting a new "phone connector plug" on the cable from the sensor, but no one locally has those phone plugs anymore. Will try moving my transmitter closer to the wind sensor so that it plugs directly into the transmitter, but doing so exposes the transmitter to more direct sunlight......
It continues......