Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

temperature higher than other stations

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
hmc1944
Weather Station: Weatherwise WS1090 solar
Operating System: Windows 10

temperature higher than other stations

Post by hmc1944 »

My temperature in the daytime generally read about 5 to 7 degrees higher than surrounding stations. I have a Weatherwise WS190-Solar. mounted by my house about 6 feet higher than my flat roof. While other temperatures are maxing out in the low 70's, my is upper 70's. Any suggestions would be helpful.
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Re: temperature higher than other stations

Post by beteljuice »

1/ The radiation shields aren't very good.

2/ The Temp. sensor and rain gauge should be much lower down.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
MickinMoulden
Weather Station: WS-1081 with rain gauge mod
Operating System: Windows 7 & 1.9.3 b1059

Post by MickinMoulden »

Your roof will be most likely be radiating heat that will create a hot air rising up to your temp sensor. This will also affect your humidity readings by making them a lot lower than what they should be. On top of that, you will be getting a rise in temperature due to your "radiation shield" not radiating all the heat and heating up. The normal height for temp is 5ft, however you should never go below this, and higher is better as temps will exponentially be worse the closer to the ground (too cold at night, and too hot during the day). So your height isn't really a problem, the problem is that it is over a "heat" source and that it is being a heat source itself. Leave the wind gauge up there as the higher the better, even to 10 metres if you are game/allowed/safe/rich to do so (quotes for metal, building engineered etc. etc were $2000AU +.....I did my 8 metre for $100). You need to have the temp sensor exposed to the coolest place to stand while in the sun (so not over driveways either, or other concrete/metal structures).

If you want a cheats way to beat this, you can use calibration. You need your highest temp you've read, the correct temp that day, the lowest temp you've read and finally the correct temp for that day. With those four numbers you can use math to calculate the temperature gradient to match those extreme conditions just by the multiplication and add/subtract options in the calibration screen on Cumulus. That formula for exchange for 1 millions dollars thanks Bahahahaha. *jokes*. Hope that helps.

For a better radiation shield, there is plenty on this forum to search for. Here is mine: https://www.facebook.com/29759796028273 ... =3&theater
Michael, Palmerston, NT Australia www.Palmerston-WeatherImageNo image? I'm offline!
ImageImage
logjam
Weather Station: Homemade station on Raspberry Pi
Operating System: Raspbian on Raspberry Pi

Temperature higher than other stations

Post by logjam »

Temperature measuring units are usually located over a grassed area to prevent too much heat being generated under the station. They are normally inside a screen to avoid direct sun, but allowing air to pass over the sensors. As has already been indicated, roofs tend to be hot places. If it has to be on a roof, swing it over the side preferably avoiding any concrete ground underneath, and attach it below roof level, on the northern side of the building. However, try to retain any wind measurements above the roof.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,
hmc1944 wrote:Weather Station: Weatherwise WS1090 solar
Also, if it's a "Solar charging" (only) Pod (i.e. no Solar Data) then I suggest locating it to suit the (attached) temperature sensor requirements (i.e. in the shade). I'm not convinced that the PV panel does anything very useful (in association with the supplied alkaline batteries), even in the best conditions.

Cheers, Alan.
VTHokie74
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Rasbian

Post by VTHokie74 »

beteljuice wrote:1/ The radiation shields aren't very good.

2/ The Temp. sensor and rain gauge should be much lower down.
I had an Ambient/Fine Offset station until recently and I can tell you from experience the radiation shield does not work well at all in direct sunlight. Someone posted a modification for building a better radiation shield for the Fine Offset sensor here a while back. My solution was to mount the sensor under the deck in the shade. That worked pretty well and my temperatures tracked fairly well with two Davis stations near me. When my console quit communicating with the PC altogether last month I bit the bullet and bought a Davis VP2.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2/CumulusMX/Raspberry Pi 3