Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Maplin N96GY Outdoor Temperature Problem

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
DemonTraitor
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional x64

Maplin N96GY Outdoor Temperature Problem

Post by DemonTraitor »

Hi, I have a Maplin N96GY... (had it for 2 years now)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/black-usb-wir ... ntre-n96gy

Recently, the Outdoor Temperature display on the base unit just showed dashes, not getting any temperature from the outdoor sensor/transmitter. All the other sensors work fine, I get wind, humidity etc...

So, I bought a replacement outdoor sensor/transmitter (here: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-replac ... 96gy-n80nf)

Unfortunately, this has not fixed the problem, as the outdoor temperature is still not showing anything.

Has anyone had this problem before, any ideas how to fix?

Thanks

Demon
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Maplin N96GY Outdoor Temperature Problem

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

No, that's not a problem that I've seen reported before. It "suggests" that the Console is faulty.

But there are various tests to try next. First, to be sure, the External Temperature always displays dashes but the External Humidity is changing and reasonably correct? If so, then:

Check or change the batteries in both the Transmitter and Console and check they resynchronise (when the batteries are re-inserted into the Console). Next unplug the Wind cable and check that the Speed goes to zero, the Direction vanishes on the Console (or north on Cumulus) and the External Temp/Humidity displays don't change (much).

If all that behaves as expected, then bring the transmitter nearer to the Console, ideally in a warm/dry environment for a few hours and see if all the (other) figures on the Console seem "reasonable".

Cheers, Alan.
babis3g
Weather Station: Maplin Off Set, Code: N96FY
Operating System: W 7

Post by babis3g »

Had similar issue
Taking out the batteries for 10-15 minutes (2 minutes saying the user guide for resetting re-intserting the batteries for both the unit & sensor, but i'd say make it 10) from sensor & the unit fixed the issue
also note do not touch the console for setting it back until is register with the sensor
Hope will be good for you
Worth to check if the RJ11 connectors are still inserted tight (wind speed & wind direction) as well
DemonTraitor

Post by DemonTraitor »

Well, the batteries are new and left sensor right next to base unit over night, still no outdoor temperature reading. Everything still working fine, apart from wind and rain as they are not plugged in. I'm assuming the outdoor temp does need the wind and rain sensors connected... Well, that's my logic lol
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,
DemonTraitor wrote:I'm assuming the outdoor temp does need the wind and rain sensors connected...
No, it doesn't need them connected, and with the "older" units, issues with the wind cable can actually upset the temperature readings.

However, the temperature measurement may require the External Humidity to be correct (or vice versa) which is why I asked if the External Humidity reading is "correct".

Cheers, Alan.
DemonTraitor

Post by DemonTraitor »

Well, all seems to be working as it should apart from the outdoor temp, which is still blank.

I got an email from maplin - I can get the whole silver N96FY weather station for £39 instead of £49, which seems exactly like the black one that I have (N96GY), which is £69 instead of £99, does anyone know why there is such a massive difference?

Thanks
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,
DemonTraitor wrote:does anyone know why there is such a massive difference?
AFAIK, it's just Maplin's "promotional pricing"; next month the prices may be reversed. A "Black" or "Silver" Console (case) is just a matter of preference, but I believe the external sensors are also "black" (actually dark grey). It's been suggested that the dark plastic might be more resistant to UV light, but IMHO a dark "Solar Shield" is plain daft (when even the light grey one doesn't work well).

However, the £39 is indeed a new "low price point"*, perhaps because the Console hardware has been cheapened. I have recently replaced an "old" Maplin station (I think it cost about £69) with a "new" one (£49), but the radio reception was "apalling" in comparison and it seems to suffer many more "USB hangs" (I don't run the PC 24/7 and haven't yet needed to remove the batteries for a full reset).

As for the radio reception, I eventually removed the back of the Console and noted that the "antenna" was ~22 cms long, wrapped around two sides of the case. "Theory" says that the length for 433 MHz should be ~17 cms so I cut off about 5 cms and re-routed the wire as a "horizontal monopole". My Console is now receiving signals more "reliably" where it wasn't before, but I must emphasise that this has been a solution for my location and is NOT a recommendation how to "improve" the Maplin (or 1081) Consoles in general.

* At one time the superior Clas Ohlson version (1080 with RCC and 868 MHz radio, etc.) was being sold at £49, but it was significantly more the last time I looked. I don't know if that has also now been through the same "cheapening exercise".

Cheers, Alan.
DemonTraitor

Post by DemonTraitor »

Thank you very much for a very in depth reply. I have ordered the £39 one and see how it goes... I'm hoping the sensors i already have outside should be picked up by the new console instantly...

Pretty miffed about my current one going wrong after only 2 years...
OliverMcDermott
Weather Station: Orion WS3036
Operating System: Windows 10 x64

Post by OliverMcDermott »

I'll add my experience: these posts helped me out of a similar / identical issue.

Today was a record "hot" day with a particularly high UV index. (the weather bureau published a national advisory)

I own an Orion WS3036 - A fine offset "clone" - the console lost connection early this morning & after spending several hours trying & repeating various "tricks" including: replacing batteries & following reset procedure, manually searching for the station (Press 'Down' for 4 seconds), changing position of console, etc.

Nothing worked - the UV/Light Sensor reported data but everything else reported "---"
(the first time this has happened)

I got fed up and left it, and when I returned this afternoon (still HOT!) - I inserted batteries again and the station started transmitting everything but humidity and temp.

I repeated the above-mentioned steps several times again, then left it alone for a while longer.
...until this evening - I've done the same thing I did earlier, and the unit is once again reporting all data...

Interesting...
GSV3MiaC
Weather Station: Fine Offset (ex Maplin)
Operating System: Win 7, Vista, XP, Android, etc.

Post by GSV3MiaC »

My transmitter also died (for temp / humidity only) after 2.5 years .. luckily in my case a spare from Maplin worked OK. When it was not sending, the outside temp was recorded by Cumulus as -40c or thereabouts, which will take some editing out (obviously the temp range, wind chill temp etc are all similarly messed up). Humidity was recorded as 10%. The constant resets are a bit of a PITA, but for £50-£60, there really isn't a better solution out there as far as I can tell .. just wish there was a £1xx solution which would work better and last longer, before you get into the Davis Pro at £1xxx (by the time you have web hookup hardware etc). Before/as the transmitter died it ate a pair of Li AA cells in a month or two (previous pair lasted over 2 years).

Looks like the next generation are going wifi (given most homes now have it), which is all very well but cuts Cumulus out of the loop I guess. 8<. I'm almost tempted to run wires...
GSV3MiaC
Weather Station: Fine Offset (ex Maplin)
Operating System: Win 7, Vista, XP, Android, etc.

Post by GSV3MiaC »

Hmm, short lived solution, the new transmitter died after a month (LED constantly on, nothing going on .. cycling power at either end made no difference). Maplin refunded me for the replacement, since they are out of stock for a month (!). Not sure they can even source a complete N96GY replacement station (by post) right now, although a few stores still seem to have some.

So time for a replacement station from 'elsewhere' methinks.

There seem to be a plethora of FO/Watson stations around .. is there a neat definition / comparison chart someplace that tells me which ones have what? Even the FO website just lists them all (three pages) with no useful comparison info. A straight swap for the Maplin N96GY would be OK, but if there is something better (in particular better transmitter range and life) I'd cheerfully pay for it .. not sure if 'solar powered' or 'uv meter' is worth extra though (and I gather it prevents me just reusing the existing sensors, since one of the transmitter sockets is now 6 wire instead of 4?). Comments welcome. Yes, I'd love a Davis, but the ripoff datalink prices (do you know HOW MUCH flash memory and cpu power you can get for that price!?) puts me right off.

TIA
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Yes, I'd love a Davis, but the ripoff datalink prices (do you know HOW MUCH flash memory and cpu power you can get for that price!?) puts me right off.
There are alternatives, such as http://belfryboyweatherbits.blogspot.ca/

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

I don't think anybody has prepared a useful "comparison" chart because so many of the FO stations with different "brand" names and model numbers are identical, whilst others with identical numbers are actually different (e.g. the Maplin protocol change some years ago and Clas Ohlson's backlight colour and removal of the RCC? ). :?

The version from Clas Ohlson (web or from their few UK shops) is perhaps worthy of consideration, sometimes about the same price as Maplin, but with a Radio-Controlled Clock (?), better user-manual, blue backlight (now) and 868 MHz radio which might be more satisfactory than the normal 434 MHz. At the moment it appears to be £79.99, with maybe free shipping and a 10% web discount (today only?), but perhaps worth waiting for a better "offer" price.

I must admit that I do prefer the non-touchscreen "Solar" (data) models (AFAIK not avilable from either CO or Maplin) even though the solar data accuracy is rather "suspect". However, the typical UK price seems excessively high at £100+, when they are similarly priced to the non-solar touchscreen versions in Australia. :?

Cheers, Alan.