Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

High and low daily temperature range

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
gmbuska
Weather Station: WS2090
Operating System: Windows 9 64 bit

High and low daily temperature range

Post by gmbuska »

I am still having problems figuring these readings out, I know that the lowest daily temperature is the difference between the high and low temp. and just the opposite for the highest daily temp range. But How can you have both the low and high daily temp range on the same day.
My system is telling me that on the 17 of October there was a record daily low temp range of 1.1 degree F and a high daily temp range on the same day of 20.3 degrees F. If I under stand these readings is this telling me that the lowest and the highest daily temp ranges actually happened on this date or is is comparing it to other times.
I apologize for being a pain I am still trying to figure this out. :oops: :?:
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: High and low daily temperature range

Post by steve »

Could you please give a link to a web page, or attach a screen shot from Cumulus, so I know exactly what figures you're referring to?
Steve
gmbuska

Post by gmbuska »

I do not have a way of taking a screen shot as I do not like using any of the screen capture programs that are out there I got a bad virus once from using one and I would rather not risking getting another one as it took me a couple of weeks getting rid of all the contamination
What I am talking about is when you see the light blinking saying there is a new record and click on the new record it opens a window that shows all of the different headings like Wind Temperature Pressure and Humidity.
The window will have a red light in the heading where the record was at, sometimes there is more than one record
In my case the Temperature heading had a red light in it meaning that the record set has something to do with Temperatures.
I than click on the Temperature column and another window opens showing all of the temperature readings
At the very bottom of the window are the two readings I am talking about
One is the Lowest Daily Temperature Range and the date that it occurred
and the other is the Highest Daily Temperature range and the date it occurred.
In my case it stated that a new record had been set for both the low and the high daily temperature range readings and that they had occurred on the same day.
I just do not understand how you can have both on the same day.
I am obviously confused about these and Have tried to read any information I can to help me out.
If you still do not know what I am talking about do not worry about it I will just ignore these readings
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

If you zip up the diags folder and attach it, along with the alltime.ini file, I'll take a look. It appears that you've had some kind of issue with the end of day rollover.

Note that you can take a screen shot in Windows without any extra software by using the PrtScr key and then pasting into Paint - or Ctrl-Alt-PrtScr for just the current window. I assume this functionality is still in Windows 9 (which I believe is actually going to be called Windows 10?)
Steve
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

Edit: cross posting with Steve.

Presumeably you have only just started collecting data ?

It is quite reasonable if you only have a few days of data for min / max to be new records for almost anything.

In terms of temperature it probably means you had a clear (cold) night followed by a clear (warm) days.

'New' records can take a while to settle down ;)
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

What you say is for the most part true, beteljuice, but I can't think of any situation where the max and min daily range could legitimately both be on the same day with different values. I suspect that the end of day rollover happened twice for that day, for whatever reason (ignoring the warning and closing down just before midnight can cause it, unfortunately).
Steve
gmbuska

Post by gmbuska »

Thanks every one for the replies.
I had to do a reset my data as I had messed it up when I thought the Lowest daily temperature readings were wrong.
I have also been doing some research and it turns out that I was mistaken everything is fine now. I think and hope I have it figured out now.
My only problem now is a minor one. Trying to stop my rain gauge from giving me a false reading. I have discovered that my rain gauge is kind of like a sew saw of sorts as one part fills up it goes down empties and sends a single to my display that x amount of rain has occurred.
The problem is during high winds or if the pole that the gauge is mounted on is bumped it cause the rain gauge to dump giving a false reading. My gauge is mounted on what used to be a bird feeder that has a base filled with sand and rocks and has metal tubes extending about 6 1/2 feet above the ground. It takes a pretty good bump or a real strong gust to make it shake.
You know the kind you get just before a thunder storm hits.
I thought about putting down wires on it but am afraid because of the tripping hazard it presents. My gauge is in my front yard with no fence and I have the occasional kid that wants to check it out by shaking it.
I am not quite sure what i am going to do about this. So far I just edit the reading to adjust for this.
WurliTzerwilly
Weather Station: Watson 8681 Solar
Operating System: MS Windows 7

Post by WurliTzerwilly »

gmbuska wrote:I do not have a way of taking a screen shot as I do not like using any of the screen capture programs that are out there I got a bad virus once from using one and I would rather not risking getting another one as it took me a couple of weeks getting rid of all the contamination..............................
If you are using Windows 7, the Snipping Tool screen capture program is already included, so you won't have to download anything. Click the Start button and choose All programs/Accessories. You'll find it in there.

Regards,

Alan.
Regards,

Alan.
gmbuska

Post by gmbuska »

WurliTzerwilly wrote:
gmbuska wrote:I do not have a way of taking a screen shot as I do not like using any of the screen capture programs that are out there I got a bad virus once from using one and I would rather not risking getting another one as it took me a couple of weeks getting rid of all the contamination..............................
If you are using Windows 7, the Snipping Tool screen capture program is already included, so you won't have to download anything. Click the Start button and choose All programs/Accessories. You'll find it in there.

Regards,

Alan.
I am using Windows 8.1 64 bit but I figured out how to capture a screen, The problem is sometimes all I get is a picture of my desk top even though the other window is open.
But I think Keyword here THINK I finally figured it out. Well at least for now until something else confuses me.