Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Anemometer speed

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
dionaea
Weather Station: WH1080 / Watson8681

Anemometer speed

Post by dionaea »

Just as a matter of interest, is there a maximum speed that the Fine Offset anemometer can spin? Mine never seems to get over the mid 50 mph region.This could be because the winds have not gone above that speed but can't be sure. What is the highest speed that other users have reached?
nitrx
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Anemometer speed

Post by nitrx »

I reached gust up too 67 mph according the manual it should read windspeed to 100 mph http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/images/d/d2/WH1080.pdf
Spider-Vice
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian

Post by Spider-Vice »

It's already reached 120 kph (74,56 mph) here.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

By applying an electronic pulse test generator, I got my Console to display a "gust" of almost 200 miles per hour . But the "average" speed seemed to limit at just below 100 mph (i.e. a little below FO's specification).

Of course I can't say whether the anemometer can (accurately) generate (and survive) such windspeeds, but they should still be well within the capabilities of the bearing and the magnetic reed sensor.

Cheers, Alan.
logjam
Weather Station: Homemade station on Raspberry Pi
Operating System: Raspbian on Raspberry Pi

Anemometer speed

Post by logjam »

It is worth mentioning that the headline figures on the news are readings taken on exposed positions well above any obstacles. My highest figure is 57mph but I know at the time the speed was nearer 70mph for someone else just half a mile away on top of a hill. If I could just get a North-westerly wind at those speeds I would get much higher figures too. As it is they are always southerly or south-westerly where there are hills across the river which shelter my location. I guess most of us don't live in places which are ideal for a weather station. We have to accept that the figures we record are relative to our own peculiar location.
MickinMoulden
Weather Station: WS-1081 with rain gauge mod
Operating System: Windows 7 & 1.9.3 b1059

Post by MickinMoulden »

I've tested mine to 212kmhr (about 132MPH). It registered 233kmhr with a multiplier of 1.1 due to the height of the unit. It was actually tested with a petrol blower for about 1 minute (or two). Did you want a average speed? (I could check the data, but I think I edited it out completely). I will add that I "balanced" the unit. When I say balanced, I mean crudely added weight with glue gun until balanced. It worked but. Unfortunately, my mast broke not long after due to a storm and smashed the balanced prototype. I have not tested the new one, however 100mm by 100mm treated pine cemented in with 70kg of cement now hold up the new one.
Michael, Palmerston, NT Australia www.Palmerston-WeatherImageNo image? I'm offline!
ImageImage