Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Irregular Application can't load errors

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
ironeagleuk
Weather Station: Maplins N96GY (Watson W-8681)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home

Irregular Application can't load errors

Post by ironeagleuk »

I sometimes can't load the Cumulus app, and thought it was time I tried to find out why, and what is happening.

I seem to often get errors in Cumulus saying that it can't open the current month log file.

Seems almost like a disk read error as the file isn't open anywhere else. I don't think the hard disk is on its way out though, as I don't get any other errors, just sometimes the system is on a go slow.

This happened today, and I noticed when I came home from work that the error light was flashing, and all the errors related to the monthly log file.

So I closed Cumulus and reopened it. All my records had been lost, and I was having green lights flashing everywhere telling me of a new record.

So I closed Cumulus to copy the files from the Cumulus backup files, which I often seem to do...perhaps twice a month.

Copy the files back across to the data folder....tried to load Cumulus, but told the application can't load.
Normally I have to reboot, and it works....but I won't do that just yet, as before doing so, I thought it best to post my diags and debug files here.

Can you shed any light on the problems please Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Irregular Application can't load errors

Post by steve »

Sorry, I don't know, I've never seen anything like that before, and I don't know what the cause is. The error in the bugreport.txt is in the Delphi runtime, where it's creating the main window. This happens before any of my code is executed. There are no signs of any problems in the diags files.

Googling "Failed to read ImageList data from stream" gives a few hits going from the recent past to several years ago, but there doesn't seem to be anything that definitively says what the problem might be. I think that in your case it's just a symptom of a more general problem.

If rebooting fixes it, then perhaps it's some kind of Windows resource problem. I agree that it doesn't sound like a disk problem, but rather something else that is preventing disk files being read. What else is running on the system? Could be an anti-virus issue, perhaps.
Steve
ironeagleuk
Weather Station: Maplins N96GY (Watson W-8681)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home

Re: Irregular Application can't load errors

Post by ironeagleuk »

I thought I had replied to this....sorry.

Thanks for checking it out Steve, much appreciated.

I've done some googling, but nothing conclusive has come to light though unfortunately......it seems to be several DLL's that could be broken, or causing conflict.

Things have been stable for about a week now, but in the mid-term I am going to move Cumulus to another puter and see how hat goes
Richard