Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Weather Station positioning

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
birdman

Weather Station positioning

Post by birdman »

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone had advice on the positioning of my weather station... I'm planning on mounting it about 1.5 m
above my shed roof. It's currently on a short pole in the garden. I have noticed that being close to the lawn it's registering temperatures well above the reported oC

First question, do you think 1.5 m is high enough above the black felt roof of the shed? I'm worried radiating heat from the roof will affect the readings.

Question two, has anyone made any shielding changes to the sensors on the WH1081?

Cheers
apenwith
Weather Station: w8681 BlakeLarsen Sun Recorder
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

Re: Weather Station positioning

Post by apenwith »

At the risk of repeating things already posted (I'm new) or it may have been on another forum - I made a shield for the W8681 (same unit) sender using 8 B&Q plant pot saucers (7inch) with a 3 inch hole cut through 7 of them and bolted together with 5 mil threaded rod with plastic tube spacers. (The uncut one on top obviously). Sprayed silver. This sits over the exsiting shield with a support strut from the top to the mounting pole clamped on with a jubilee clip. Apart from improving the temperature reading in the sun it also helps keep the rain out of the sender battery box. Hope this helps and apologies if I'm teaching grandmother etc.
Good luck