Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

How accurate is the WH1081 anemometer?

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
hungerdunger
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY (WH-1081)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

How accurate is the WH1081 anemometer?

Post by hungerdunger »

Over the last few days it has been pretty windy here, and the BBC weather forecast has predicted winds well in excess of 20mph.

Yesterday the highest gust was 13mph and today 21 mph, while the highest wind was 8 and 13 mph respectively.

At times when it felt really windy, it was recording winds of around 7 to 10 mph.

I suspect that it is not recording the wind speed accurately, and I'm wondering if other people have similar observations.

BTW, the pole it's mounted on is exactly vertical and the anemometer spins freely.
Capel Dewi (Carmarthen) Weather Station:
https://twitter.com/CapelDewiWeathr
skyewright
Weather Station: WMR200+928>RFXCOM>Meteohub

Re: How accurate is the WH1081 anemometer?

Post by skyewright »

hungerdunger wrote:BTW, the pole it's mounted on is exactly vertical and the anemometer spins freely.
How high?
Any obstructions anywhere near?

Official anemometers are usually mounted on 10m masts and well clear of any obstructions (and probably sample over a shorter period -I'm not sure what period the WH1081 uses?).
Regards
David

hungerdunger
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY (WH-1081)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by hungerdunger »

skyewright wrote:
hungerdunger wrote:BTW, the pole it's mounted on is exactly vertical and the anemometer spins freely.
How high?
Any obstructions anywhere near?

Official anemometers are usually mounted on 10m masts and well clear of any obstructions (and probably sample over a shorter period -I'm not sure what period the WH1081 uses?).
It's only about 4 metres above ground level, but there are no obstructions. I live on a smallholding and it's situated above a hedge between two fields well away from the house.
Capel Dewi (Carmarthen) Weather Station:
https://twitter.com/CapelDewiWeathr
skyewright

Post by skyewright »

hungerdunger wrote:It's only about 4 metres above ground level, but there are no obstructions. I live on a smallholding and it's situated above a hedge between two fields well away from the house.
I use a WMR200, but with that, when I raised my anemometer from ~2.5m to ~5.5m I estimate that it increased gust measurements by up to 20%.

The spec. I found doesn't mention the sampling period. That can be very significant for gust measurement. A VP2 sampling over 2.5 seconds is bound to 'catch' better gust speeds than (say) a WMR200 sampling over 15 seconds. I remember seeing, but can't currently find, an interesting topic on another Forum that included some analysis of the impact of different sampling periods.

It seems a little odd that the spec. doesn't mention claimed accuracy either, just range, but overall it's not unlikely that the WH1081 is simply reporting what it finds, within its capabilities and that is unlikley to be the same as what an ideally situated much more expensive anemometer would manage. :(
Regards
David

skyewright

Post by skyewright »

skyewright wrote:I remember seeing, but can't currently find, an interesting topic on another Forum that included some analysis of the impact of different sampling periods.
Here's the topic I was thinking of.
The message with the analysis of sampling periods is about halfway down the second page.
Regards
David