Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Raspberry Pi mini computer £21

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
scoobs
Weather Station: WH3080
Operating System: Windows server

Raspberry Pi mini computer £21

Post by scoobs »

I wonder if you could get Cumulus to run on it ?

Theres two models A and B

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisp ... spberry_Pi
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Raspberry Pi mini computer £21

Post by nking »

scoobs wrote:I wonder if you could get Cumulus to run on it ?

Now that's a challenge for some bright youngsters still at school :)
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Did anyone get it running under Wine or suchlike?

Edit. Well someone had a go... http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=25037
scoobs
Weather Station: WH3080
Operating System: Windows server

Post by scoobs »

Windows 8 is meant to run on it
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

scoobs wrote:I wonder if you could get Cumulus to run on it ?
Only the Raspberry Pi model B will be available for some time - model A has just gone into production. Documents on the Raspberry Pi Foundation web site as well as the RS Components web site indicate that stocks from Raspberry Pi of the initial model B production were of limited quantity and these stocks had/have already sold out... :)

Unless one has already pre-ordered a Raspberry Pi, public availability/delivery might take a few weeks... :(

The Raspberry Pi is using a modified version of Linux - unless Steve can promptly recompile Cumulus for Linux, I do not foresee any Cumulus Raspberry Pi in a near future... :roll:
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Ray, running under Wine is still a possibility if there is version of Wine for ARM, and Steve's compiler will target ARM. Windows 8 on ARM is another possibility, though it is a tablet version of the OS, again it would still require Steve's compiler to support that platform.
Last edited by mcrossley on Thu 01 Mar 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

The Delphi compiler does not currently target ARM. It is mentioned on the roadmap as 'under consideration'.

Currently, the only way I could build an ARM version would be to port Cumulus to Freepascal/Lazarus, requiring a complete re-write of the GUI parts - or, more realistically, splitting Cumulus into a front end and "engine" (which would be a useful development in itself) and just porting the engine part.
Steve
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

mcrossley wrote:Ray, running under Wine is still a possibility...
But, Mark, this is adding another layer of processing... The Raspberry Pi has been designed to be small, compact and fast (relatively writing).

It appears that Embarcadero has plan to support Linux and Android - not knowing (or rather not understanding) what ARM means, I did not find any 'clear' references to ARM support on the Embarcadero site.

Steve, is your present release of Delphi able to compile to Linux?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

gemini06720 wrote:Steve, is your present release of Delphi able to compile to Linux?
No, the latest version can compile for Win32, Mac OS X and a few other platforms (e.g. iOS), but not Linux. It is believed that this year's release, possibly in September, will have Linux support. I don't know whether it will target ARM (the processor that Raspberry Pi uses).
Steve
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

steve wrote:The Delphi compiler does not currently target ARM. It is mentioned on the roadmap as 'under consideration'.
It certainly should be, having seen some of the HP plans for ARM based servers and the amazing densities they are getting already; Dell and IBM are also working on them, so the ARM architecture looks like it has legs, and ARM are developing future CPUs for this market.
Solorize
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Win 10, XP, Xubuntu, Linux Mint

Post by Solorize »

Being able to run Cumulus on a Raspberry Pi would be great as it would cut down on power usage and you would
have a much much quieter machine running, i.e. no fans whirring, no HDD clunking away etc.. especially if you
run a server 24/7. I know in the summer when my pc room gets hot the fans kick in and sometimes wake me up LOL.
Cumulus Real Time Data Grabber
http://bit.ly/WjBh5z

Wokingham Berkshire - weather station
http://www.wokinghamweather.co.uk

CGM UKScene Radio (pi)
http://cgmuksceneradio-pi.noip.me/

6719jason
Weather Station: La-Crosse WS3502
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by 6719jason »

Solorize wrote:Being able to run Cumulus on a Raspberry Pi would be great as it would cut down on power usage and you would
have a much much quieter machine running, i.e. no fans whirring, no HDD clunking away etc.. especially if you
run a server 24/7. I know in the summer when my pc room gets hot the fans kick in and sometimes wake me up LOL.
Your not kidding! My Weather/Server PC has always resided on the opposite side of my bedroom! Many a night during last summer was I awoke by a screaming CPU Cooling Fan!

Giving the Server PC a full de-dusting and hoovering the CPU & Fan Heatsinks makes it a hell of a lot quieter too!

I also switched from an IDE to a much quieter SATA drive - hence cuttting out on the noisy IDE Drives!

Now all the 4 PC's get a full hoover and clean every month to keep them running cool and quiet!

I'd also like a Raspberry Pi computer too! :D
yv1hx
Weather Station: No station yet ...
Operating System: Win XP Professional

Post by yv1hx »

I believe the R-Pi will be a serious competitor to FIT-PC https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6954 when I can run Cumulus in the R-Pi... :mrgreen:
Marco
stevew
Weather Station: WS2350 (via serial)
Operating System: win7/Linux

Post by stevew »

I've been playing with a Raspberry Pi for a week or two now with the goal of creating am interface to my weather station (WE2350) that can upload a 'Cumulus compatible' file to my we site. Its worth noting some things though

Raspberry Pi is Linux based with various flavours of linux available in some form
Its ARM, not Intel, so any code has to be compiled for an ARM target
It wont run Windows 8, wrong ARM, nor would it have the minimum requirements to do so anyway

So in reality, Cumulus is never going to run on a Raspberry Pi unless it was redeveloped specifically to do so. What it could do with not much work is run the Cumulus web site, so if you are self hosting your weather web site the Raspberry Pi could certainly take care of that, however, its a small, low power, low RAM device with only an SD card for local storage, so its never going to deliver a great web site experience for many visitors and imo other than as a local test option you're going to always be better off with some reasonable hosting (which is cheap as chips these days)

Right now Raspberry Pi is very new and there are lots of things that simply do not work, things that would be taken for granted on an established PC Windows platform. Over time this will of course improve but it means the Raspberry Pi is very much an experimental developer platform, and its great fun, buy one, now!

My own progress so far is pretty limited, USB/Serial issues (what a surprise) abound, but there is a growing and active community and these things are going to get resolved over time. I'm utilising the Open2300 code which I think Steve probably examined in developing the WS2350 decoding for Cumulus, but so far the usb/serial issues (or Open2300) are holding me up.

I'm sort of bloging progress, slow as it is, http://stevewardell.wordpress.com/2012/06/09/389/

I would be very interested to hear of anyone else trying to use a Raspberry Pi for weather related projects, or anything else for that matter.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

My Raspi should be here by the end of June. I'm hoping to develop some kind of version of Cumulus to run on it, for some of the supported weather stations at least.
Steve