Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

How do I prevent data gaps when clearing device memory?

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
jferristx
Weather Station: WS-1090
Operating System: windows XP sp3

How do I prevent data gaps when clearing device memory?

Post by jferristx »

I have my own station and one at work. (A WS-1090 and a WS-2080). I run only Cumulus. Currently, about once a month, I close Cumulus, Open EasyWeather, export all data for a given time period to a .csv, clear memory, close EasyWeather and restart Cumulus.

Obviously, no matter how fast I do this, I get small but really really annoying gaps in the data. Can someone tell me if I'm doing this wrong, if there is a better way to do this, or if that's just how it works. I'd like a continuous record because I'm a weather geek. (My daughter is meteorologist with the Air Force) Who knows, at some point, I know I will need that one small period of data to find the solution to prevent a zombie invasion. :shock:

Thanks
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Re: How do I prevent data gaps when clearing device memory?

Post by beteljuice »

Why do you clear (station) memory ?

It's a cyclic store. (new overwrites old when full)
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
Space Cowboy
Weather Station: WS2350
Operating System: Windows Vista 64bit

Post by Space Cowboy »

As was pointed out the logging is cyclic, but if you are using MS Excel or other spreadsheet software to read the CSV file, you could just import the monthly cumulus text files into the spreadsheet using the import data functionality. I do this when looking for the odd data anomaly I get with my WS2350.
Space Cowboy
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

As already said it's not necessary to clear the memory, but if you want to reset the "memory clock face" for example to remind you when the next download will be necessary then I think you just need to change your procedure slightly.
jferristx wrote:I close Cumulus, Open EasyWeather, export all data for a given time period to a .csv, clear memory, close EasyWeather and restart Cumulus.
Presumably the gap is in the Cumulus data? Use the procedure above but don't clear the memory. Restart Cumulus to download any data missed during the EW download. Now, you might be able to clear the memory directly on the logger (touchscreen) but I'm not sure if Cumulus will be happy with this (I don't want to clear the data in my station to try it). But if not, then close Cumulus again (to be absolutely sure you don't miss any data you could wait until just after a dataset is logged) then reset the memory (and restart Cumulus again, if required).

If the logger memory only needs reading every month, then presumably your logging interval is at least 10 or 15 minutes so you should have ample time.

Cheers, Alan.
jferristx
Weather Station: WS-1090
Operating System: windows XP sp3

Post by jferristx »

:oops:

Geez, I've spent too many hours as a computer programmer. Never considered the "don't clear the memory" thing. Grew up with Windows 3.11....you ALWAYS cleared the memory (also known as a reboot). Ok, got it, just regularly roll the data off and I won't have any gaps, so long as I do it on a regular interval with time periods short enough to prevent it rolling off the data. Is that last statement correct? I was using the memory "clock" as a reminder as to when to do it.

:clap: Many thanks for the help :clap:
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

Affirmative :clap: :mrgreen:
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !