Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Running Word 2003 from a memory stick?

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Running Word 2003 from a memory stick?

Post by geoffw »

I have a series of macros that run in Microsoft Word 2003. They are complicated and I have yet to find someone with the background in Visual Basic to convert them to run in Window 2007+

So I was wondering if it would be possible to install Word 2003 on a memory stick (with the macro suite) and just plug it in to a Windows computer and run it when needed.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Geoff
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Running Word 2003 from a memory stick?

Post by mcrossley »

Geoff, no I am pretty certain you cannot do that. What you need is a an application virtualisation program in order to have different versions of Office on the same computer - but that costs. The alternative is to run it in a VM.
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

Geoff,

The problem with so many Windows apps is they install libraries all over the place, so Word is not just in c:\program files\Office, but also in c:\windows & c:\windows\system to name but a few.

This in effect means that running it on a stick is not possible as it has too many dependencies

As Mark says, a VM is your only sensible option
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
WoodburyMan
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 20H2

Post by WoodburyMan »

Not sure if this would work or not, but there are portable USB versions of LibreOffice (OpenOffice's offshoot). http://portableapps.com/apps/office/lib ... e_portable. If you're Macro's run in LibreOffice Writer (Word equivilent) then you're all set.
Woodbury, CT Weather Ecowitt GW1100, Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning
Southington, CT Weather Ecowitt GW2000 Wittboy Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning, CO2/PM2.5/PM10

Running CumuluxMX 3.24.1 b3234 both sites on Windows 11 22H2
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

Why not lose 2007 all together and simply run 2003? That's what I'm doing (I really hate the new interface - what a foolish thing to change! But I digress...) Microsoft offers a free plug-in converter for 2003 to allow it to read and use the new file formats.
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by geoffw »

Charlie wrote:Microsoft offers a free plug-in converter for 2003 to allow it to read and use the new file formats.
I wish they did the reverse :bash: My problem is they are not simple macros but a series of rather complicated actions created by a VB expert
Geoff