Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Panorama Care home abuse secret filming!

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Panorama Care home abuse secret filming!

Post by robynfali »

Hopefully some manage to watch it, i don't tend to do posts/debates on forums much anymore but this REALLY hit home and shocked/upset me.

Please don't get into the politics side of this, it's the actual care I am talking about, mentally ill patients being physically and verbally abused, tortured basically.

If you haven't watched it, please do so here on bbci player

http://tinyurl.com/3wjjdea (might only be available inside the uk sorry)

There have been 4 arrests, 3 males, and 1 female.

Warning tho, its pretty damned shocking!

Oh, and a quick note, these are my personal views only, not those of any professional service i happen to be a part of
Sunfish
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Re: Panorama Care home abuse secret filming!

Post by Sunfish »

robynfali
I know that this is a weather forum, but many people were deeply affected by the film, so I feel I should add to your comments.
The Panorama programme was truly terrible, but blind eyes are turned to 'care homes' in the UK. There have beem many, many, similar examples of vulnerable people being physically and mentally abused in the country's hospitals.

The owners of the 'home' receive £3,500 per patient per week from HM Gov and employ society's dregs to 'look after' patient needs. What a wonderful racket that is.
The doctors, NHS Trusts, et al know what goes on but, in Britain today, such indifference, to human suffering, is commonplace.

The NHS treats elderly patients with contempt and that deep rooted attitude infects every aspect of hospital care.

Witness the queue, this morning, as the owners of this 'care home', HM Gov, the NHS, the home's resident pschiatrist, the Care Quality Commision and the Local Health Authority, all line up to mouth apologies and say 'action will be taken'.

Well, at least we can be sure of one thing as a result of Panorama's efforts--nothing is going to change.
werribee_au
Weather Station: WH-1081 (Jaycar Digitech XC0348)
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by werribee_au »

robynfali wrote:http://tinyurl.com/3wjjdea (might only be available inside the uk sorry)
Horrorfying to say the least.

Here's a link to a BBC article that can be viewed outside the UK.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13611089
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

I could not bring myself to watch it -- I had read about it before hand and it was enough to enrage me. We treat murderers with more dignity :bash:
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

Hello all. Just coming back from a Windows 7 complete system crash and file corruptions. Still not fully functional after a complete re-install...

Anyway...

The abuse of elderly and mentally ill people is not typical of the UK.

Some similar abuse situations were made public about two years ago here on Vancouver Island (just off the west coast of British Columbia, Canada).

Hidden cameras were used by both family members and disgrunted employees. When the first images were released to the media (publicly), the provincial government went into a negative marketing spin mode stating that the images had been released to make them (the government) look back because of some cuts to different health services.

After those statements from government representatives, then everything went 'viral' where dozen of new videos were released by the media. Eventually, the government had to accept the fact and take some responsabilities with this lack of respect of the individuals.

Two years later, there are still a few cases of abuse, but much more infrequently, as family members are finally now keeping an eye of the care providers (rather than just trusting them) and not just the patient...
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

I know about this and am also (trying to think of a strong enough word) totally horrified by what goes on. My OH went into a "care and rehabilitation" home while extra home help could be found following a long stay in hospital. He nearly died there due to their not taking notice of his dietary and medical needs etc. and was rushed into hospital after collapsing there. He needed 3 weeks hospital treatment before he was back to the state he was in before, and well enough to return home. Thankfully he has recovered well and very nearly back to full health and mobility - mainly due to his own determination to get back to normal.

I can't read that article I'm afraid as I shall only get too upset. It's certainly true that murderers and similar nasty people in prison get treated far better than elderly and infirm people in so-called "care homes"!!
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.