Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Davis Radiation shield

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
Morelo
Weather Station: 265 NE

Davis Radiation shield

Post by Morelo »

Hello guys,I have the National Geographic 265NE wireless weather station and i woyld like to know if Davis radiation shield can be used by my station or there will be any problems?Im saying this becayse nationals radiation shield sucks...if not ill try to make hmm a little cage for temp/hum sensor..if someone knows something about this please let me know..
Morelo

Re: Davis Radiation shield

Post by Morelo »

some help on this please guys..Can Davis radiation shield be used by other weather stations?I just need it to put inside the TEMP/HUM sensor,or its only for davis WS use?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Some people have made their own shields - a search on the forum should find it.

Steve
Budgie
Weather Station: LaCrosse WS2300 & Davis VP2

Post by Budgie »

As I don't know what the sensor is like in that WS then I can't say if it'll fit in the Davis shield but, here's a couple of sites with home made designs that may prove useful:

http://www.hereford-weather.co.uk/html/ ... eendiy.htm

http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index. ... 736.0.html

http://www.geocities.com/meteoperisteri/Klovos.html
Morelo

Post by Morelo »

Happy new year!!Well i would like you guys to take a look at my Weather station's sensor,and someone of you who own a Davis weather station could tell me if i can put this sensor into davis radiation shield?Im thinking of davis radiation shield because i tried to make my own radiation shield but i failled....I need davis shield just to put my sensor into the shield thats all i want,what you guys think?Is that possible?Or davis shield can be used only by davis weather station?

this is what im talking about

Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

Morelo
Does your transmitter not come with the plastic weather shield as supplied on the wh1081?
I just mount my transmitter up under the eaves of the house where it never gets any sun, and is exposed to some wind but not rain. I haven't had any reason to use any other weather shield than the one supplied.
If you didn't receive a weather shield with your unit then I can send you a photo of what it should look like?
Maybe these WH108x units vary around the world.
Morelo

Post by Morelo »

Ahh ofcourse ive got his own shield,but isnt that good in order to give me correct clues,because of the sun that sees it during the most of the day time....so i get mm 2-4 degrees higher T than my citys davis station....that's why im asking about davis shield :)....
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

2 - 4 degrees is not very much variation. How far away is the other station? Is it out in the clear like yours? Is it at the same elevation?

Have you tried checking the temp at your station location with a different themometer?

It gets pretty hot here... and I have a 24hr FARS... and it does make a difference, but comparing my station to the next closest weather station is not a very good indication if I am on or or not.
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

BTW.. the shield you are looking at is not very big, espcially inside.

The shield is designed to hold the small sendor itself, which is about 2"x2" square and with the components less than an inch thick. It suspends the sensor in a slot.

the sensor has both temp and humidity in it and is cabled to reach the ISS board.

I have a picture of one as I replaced one on my station once.
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

This is what the sensor that is inside the shield looks like. At the most the card is about 2 inches long.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Morelo

Post by Morelo »

Yes the other station is located in the center of the town mm about 5-8m higher than mine station,i get almost the same clues during the night(or a bit lower cuz actually i live in the suburbs of city)......ah so you think i will not be able to put my sensor in there?Is the hole that small? :( ...

davis shield inside i saw that and i thought i would prolly be able to put my sensor in there..it looks deep enough for my sensor,doesnt it??
Budgie
Weather Station: LaCrosse WS2300 & Davis VP2

Post by Budgie »

Would this mini Stevenson Screen be of any use?
dc1500
Weather Station: Watson W-8681 (Fine Offset type)
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by dc1500 »

Screwfix do a nice 220mmx220mm white plastic louvre as a gas vent. I've been thinking of making one based on these for the sides. They are only about £1.20p each so if you wanted a larger one you could use more. Would be easier and cheaper.
Dave
Jonsey
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1081
Operating System: Shuttle Xpc SK41, XP Pro SP3

Post by Jonsey »