Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Hot Glue Guns

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Hot Glue Guns

Post by Gina »

I feel a bit daft asking this but... Is the glue used in hot glue guns fully waterproof and weatherproof? I've assumed it is and I'm sure I've seen examples of it used outdoors but I've Googled like a mad thing and can't seem to find the answer. I'm assuming the dual-melt sticks sold for home use are all the same material but I'm particularly interested in the Stanley 4" x 11.3mm dual-melt sticks, having just bought these (24 pack) and a Stanley heavy duty gun. This is the gun http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... ss_product
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
keithatrochdale
Weather Station: WH1080PC
Operating System: XP

Re: Hot Glue Guns

Post by keithatrochdale »

It is, but I wonder why you asked this question.

Also depending on the answer, you might be better off using silicon sealant.
Nothing is foolproof, to a sufficiently talented fool . . .

WH1080PC Rochdale UK, 171m
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

The beteljuices experience of glue sticks is ... messy, mostly unrepeatable and certainly not weather proof, nor suitable for any changeable environment.

... but then again even normal staplers don't behave for the betejuice :lol:
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
Gina

Post by Gina »

keithatrochdale wrote:It is, but I wonder why you asked this question.

Also depending on the answer, you might be better off using silicon sealant.
I'm making a (mainly) wooden Stevenson screen and thinking of using hot glue as a quick assembly method.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Post by hills »

I have a hot glue gun and tried to use it for wwodwork once with very little success. By the time I had laid a bead of glue onto the wood it had already gone hard before the 2 pieces were put together. I only use it on metal where both surfaces are preheated before application of glue.

I always use aquadere and screws on wood. ;)
Gina

Post by Gina »

beteljuice wrote:The beteljuices experience of glue sticks is ... messy, mostly unrepeatable and certainly not weather proof, nor suitable for any changeable environment.

... but then again even normal staplers don't behave for the betejuice :lol:
A bit of a difference of opinion, it seems... I have a number of other uses, mostly indoors or in a weatherproof housing, where the usual slower setting glues are difficult.
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

hills wrote:I have a hot glue gun and tried to use it for wwodwork once with very little success. By the time I had laid a bead of glue onto the wood it had already gone hard before the 2 pieces were put together. I only use it on metal where both surfaces are preheated before application of glue.

I always use aquadere and screws on wood. ;)
I tried it on some wood joints with reasonable success. No positioning time, just quickly apply plenty of glue to one half and slap it together (quickly but accurately). But there are no second chances! I think I'll go back to PVA wood glue and screws for woodwork :)
Gina

keithatrochdale
Weather Station: WH1080PC
Operating System: XP

Post by keithatrochdale »

Don't forget to use waterproof PVA and brass screws. You might also consider a glue called Cascamite.

http://www.technologystudent.com/joints/casca1.htm

Glue and screws would be my recommendation too.
Nothing is foolproof, to a sufficiently talented fool . . .

WH1080PC Rochdale UK, 171m
Gina

Post by Gina »

I remember Cascamite now you mention it :lol: That takes me back - didn't know they still sold it.

Those wood joints I tried with hot glue failed after some time though they seemed quite strong for a while. Maybe it's a matter of technique, but I shall not be trying to join wood with hot glue from a gun in the future. Proper waterproof wood glue and screws for me.
Gina

Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

Hot glue should not be weakened by water, but something encased in it may get wet over time if completely immersed due to molecular migration. I have not had a lot of luck with wood, but I have found it useful for things with large coarse surface areas (like cloth) or places I used to use 5 minute epoxy like the back of an LED to hold it into a panel. Like solder, it has far more strength in shear than in tension, and for its uses, it's a lot more like caulking than glue.