Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

My heating has packed in!!

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

My heating has packed in!!

Post by daj »

It was -11.8C this morning at 7am and the boiler decided not to work -- great, not!

The boiler is housed in it's own building in the garden, and is fed by a 750litre diesel tank. I've done a check on the www and the freezing point of diesel is -45C, however at -10C the paraffin in the mix starts to turn to wax and can clog the filter....anyone bored yet. LOL

Anyway, after about an hour this morning I got the thing going by heating the filter area. Fast forward twelve hours....it is 7pm, only -5.4C and the flipping thing is off again and will not restart. It is not as cold as it was so I do not understand what the issue could be now.

Any heating engineers aviailable? LOL
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
akasonny
Weather Station: Zephyr TD-1000
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: My heating has packed in!!

Post by akasonny »

David,

Here, there are two types of diesel fuel...one for summer and one for winter. Apparently one will clog filters while the other is thinner and won't. They're labeled #1 and #2 diesel.

What has happened to it in past winters?

I think if the filter is accessible, I'd remove it and clean it with a it of "petrol" or something to see if you can open it up. Just an idea. I sympathize.
daj

Post by daj »

Hi Steven

we get winter diesel delivered (known as Arctic Diesel up here - lol!).

I have actually just done what you are suggesting. I removed the filter inside the boiler house and checked it. Nice and clear and the diesel is flowing through -- I disconnected the pipe coming out of the filter to prove it was flowing. So nothing is frozen.

So whatever is going on is happening from the filter into the jets, as they are not firing.

This is not what i need on Christmas Eve -- what are the chances of getting a 'man' out.

I'll knuckle down, keep the coal fire burning and pray for a miracle. :lol: :lol:
David
kippfordweather.uk
6719jason
Weather Station: La-Crosse WS3502
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by 6719jason »

Hope it all gets sorted soon, Merry Xmas :)
daj

Post by daj »

Thanks Jason -- I'm not meant to get my hands dirty! :o

Have a good Christmas
David
kippfordweather.uk
akasonny
Weather Station: Zephyr TD-1000
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by akasonny »

Its my guess the jets are clogged. If they can be removed and cleaned there'd be no other reason for it not to fire up. In some furnaces, you just use a screwdriver to remove them as they make them easy to change.

Good luck Dave...crowd around the computer for heat :)

Merry Christmas
daj wrote:So whatever is going on is happening from the filter into the jets, as they are not firing.

This is not what i need on Christmas Eve -- what are the chances of getting a 'man' out.

I'll knuckle down, keep the coal fire burning and pray for a miracle. :lol: :lol:
daj

Post by daj »

Thanks Steven,

In a final flurry I gave it a kick, which made no difference. A problem for another day as is is 9:30pm now

Merry Christmas to you and yours
David
kippfordweather.uk