Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Help with choosing a new weather station for 2021

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
galfert
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Mint, Raspberry Pi OS, Synology

Re: Help with choosing a new weather station for 2021

Post by galfert »

prodata wrote: Fri 15 Jan 2021 2:32 pm It's a bit of an unhelpful semantic debate IMHO as to whether WLL is a data logger or not - it is in some respects but maybe not in others. But it doesn't really matter as long as one is clear about its features and capabilities.
Agreed!

And that was a very nice write up.

Thank you.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge RPI | CumulusMX on Synology NAS
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Tele-Pole flag pole
grumpazoid
Weather Station: fine offset wh1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by grumpazoid »

This has been an interesting discussion - Thank you.

From my point of view , it does seem that the Davis hardware is of better quality, but I am not convinced about having to send the data off across the internet to be logged in the cloud.

I use several open source automation projects running on various raspberry PI boards and all data is kept on my own private networks.
Is this not possible with the Davis units?
galfert
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Mint, Raspberry Pi OS, Synology

Post by galfert »

grumpazoid wrote: Sun 17 Jan 2021 3:01 pm Is this not possible with the Davis units?
Yes you can. You can always pull live data directly on your local network. Then log it on your Raspberry Pi or NAS or any server you have, running your own software or one of the various 3rd party software available. As long as you manage to keep your system up and running. The contention is that with one of the older Davis loggers they would locally archive the the data to later retrieval. This enabled station owners to not need to run their computer 24/7. While I can understand the desire to not need to run a computer 24/7, today with devices such as the Raspberry Pi, that are energy efficient, and totally silent (with proper heatsink case), there is almost no concern for the regards to leaving a computer running 24/7. Sure there is perhaps still the concern that during a power outage that your Raspberry Pi is not running and therefore you'll not be able to log live data. But with the proper battery backup this too can be remedied, and with the little power requirements of a Raspberry Pi if you can manage to keep an old logger powered then I see no reason why you couldn't also keep a Raspberry Pi powered.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge RPI | CumulusMX on Synology NAS
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Tele-Pole flag pole
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

David