Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Home weather stations, are they worth it? Useful?

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
maulibels85
Weather Station: W8681
Operating System: Windows XP

Home weather stations, are they worth it? Useful?

Post by maulibels85 »

Hi folks,

WUnderground has a way to hook home weather stations into their network. I'm doing some remodeling and I thought it would be fun to add some sort of home weather station and feed them my data.

Before I go spending money on this I was wondering if any of you could share your thoughts on these systems. Are they accurate? Useful? Any particular model I should get?

I'd describe myself as "weather interested" and love the idea of having real local data.

Thanks and forgive me if this isn't a good place to post this please!
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: Home weather stations, are they worth it? Useful?

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
Most here will have a personal (home) weather station (pws) that provides current weather data on their station's console. Most will have a station that can automatically upload to various weather services like Weather Underground - i.e. Davis, and many will also run a weather program like Cumulus that can also upload to those weather services. With programs like Cumulus you can also feed your personal weather website. All of that can be informative and a great hobby.

Are they accurate?
Most brands are quite accurate in the data they collect and calculate, and to some degree higher cost, better overall accuracy.

Useful?
Some users get it, and forget it, so data may not be very reliable. But with basic monitoring and upkeep your local weather information will be informative to your local community and others that are interested. I have my pws data going back to 2008 and great to make comparisons, and share highs and lows, etc.

Any particular model I should get?
Davis VP2 models are top hobbyist quality at reasonable cost, and on many people's list!

Are they worth it?
That depends on your values, but for me YES!

"I'd describe myself as "weather interested" and love the idea of having real local data."
Then you are in the right place to read more, do research, and ask questions. Check the many pws websites from the users here.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Re: Home weather stations, are they worth it? Useful?

Post by ConligWX »

Just remember WU isn't the most reliable website for Home weather stations.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0