Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX release v3.0.0 build 3050 - 1 May 2019.
Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014

See the Wiki for downloading either version.

Fire Weather, a new approach

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
HansR
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2+
Operating System: Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

Fire Weather, a new approach

Post by HansR » Mon 12 Aug 2019 9:04 am

Recently I restarted my weather station and as in the past, I wanted to include fire weather warning info. I had lost the software so I asked on the forum and got a reply about FWIcalc. That software seemed to have reached the end of its life-cycle and the author had stopped. The orphanaged software is still available and can be used but:
  1. it requires a PC to run, separate from the weather system (unless you run cumulus on a PC permanently on);
  2. it calculates as a black box, meaning no info on the theory behind it, is readily available.
Both points are an issue I think. Apparently fire weather warning is not of much interest to many owners of PWSs, but it is to me. The subject itself is interesting (having studied forestry) and the strong relation to local meteorology makes it a great combination to theoretically investigate. Besides, I would like to see some software to generate automatically the FWI and display it on the site. This would require a calculation on the Cumulus side or on (web)server side. Wherever it is done, it must be integrated in the system somehow.

So I began by studying and created a blog to track my findings (and also for other PWS related stuff). You can find it here and you can select the relevant FWI blogs by using the tag FWI. [Sorry for the theme, that may change if I find a better one, especially with a - for me - acceptable layout/font-size].

If will indicate update here with either relevant theory, software or otherwise.
Comments are welcome.
Hans Rottier

Davis Vantage Pro 2+
Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) on Raspberry 3B+
Cumulus MX v.3.0.0 build 3050
https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl

HansR

Re: Fire Weather, a new approach

Post by HansR » Mon 19 Aug 2019 11:47 am

As promised I made a follow up on the fire weather index with a new blog : An effort for a simpler fire weather index. It describes a variation on a fire weather index published recently (see the blog) and discusses the theory. I will implement this theory in my add2cumulus program (additions to cumulus) through which it will become available as a separate procedure.
I will update the corresponding message accordingly with explanation when done.

In addition, for testing purposes, I would like to have some larger dayfile.txt (with station latitude/longitude and altitude), especially from the dryer regions, possibly semi-arid. But moderate, boreal and tropical data are very welcome as well of course. You can post the file in response to this message or by PM.

Best,
Last edited by HansR on Wed 21 Aug 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans Rottier

Davis Vantage Pro 2+

HansR

Post by HansR » Wed 21 Aug 2019 3:26 pm

The first implementation is up and running (some hickups in the page now and then).
I do not need other dayfile.txt anymore. A discussion with beteljuice made things more clear to me. Thanks so far. Any progress, I'll let you know.
Best,
Last edited by HansR on Sat 24 Aug 2019 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hans Rottier

Davis Vantage Pro 2+

meteosangonera
Weather Station: Davis
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by meteosangonera » Fri 23 Aug 2019 5:55 am

HansR wrote:
Wed 21 Aug 2019 3:26 pm
The first implementation is up and running (some hickups in the page now and than).

I am still looking for other dayfile.txt but with the remarks below in mind!

So far I received one dayfile.txt for testing purposes. This taught me a lot about the possible variations in dayfile.txt (and other logfiles). I was probably a bit optimistic in generic handling of the dayfile. I will postpone this until I find an easy way to deal with:
  1. different separation characters for dates and fields
  2. different units and the conversions between them
So, for the time being, anybody interested in this must must have dash and semicolon separators (-;) and must be metric (C, mm, km and hPa).

Best,
Hi, I can test, or I can borrow my dayfile.txt

HansR

Post by HansR » Fri 23 Aug 2019 1:53 pm

meteosangonera wrote:
Fri 23 Aug 2019 5:55 am
Hi, I can test, or I can borrow my dayfile.txt
Hi, Thnx for the reply. See my edited message just before yours.

Best,
Hans Rottier

Davis Vantage Pro 2+