Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New Cumulus Home

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: New Cumulus Home

Post by freddie »

ConligWX wrote: Wed 14 Nov 2018 7:55 am Freddie, Do you have Sphinx Fulltext Search index installed?
I will take a look at this, thanks for posting.
Freddie
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Just to confirm, my access and using this forum is as good as the old hosting, no concern -
knockonwood.jpg
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

bnwrx
Weather Station: Ambient WS2095 (Fine/Offset)
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by bnwrx »

Just to confirm...it took 20 seconds to load this reply page....and another 20 seconds to post it.
Thanks to Freddie for your patience and all attemps to rectify this issue.
M1DUL
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2 Plus Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro Version

Post by M1DUL »

Still same here also, no change still slow. takes 15 seconds to log in or read posts.
I find I am just reading odd posts not logged in as it is a lot quicker.
Mike

Weather Station : Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus Daytime Far's
Cumulus MX v.3.28.6 build 3283
https://branksomeweather.co.uk/index.htm
freddie

Post by freddie »

freddie wrote: Wed 14 Nov 2018 9:44 am
ConligWX wrote: Wed 14 Nov 2018 7:55 am Freddie, Do you have Sphinx Fulltext Search index installed?
I will take a look at this, thanks for posting.
I've had a look and don't see enough of an advantage to want to install it, as search on this forum appears to be performing okay for most users.

Thanks for your interest.
Freddie
freddie

Post by freddie »

Thanks for all the feedback in this thread. I have made the following changes since the board went live:
  • Transferred housekeeping tasks outside the forum so that the jobs aren't run with user requests.
  • Implemented compression of appropriate responses from the board to reduce download sizes.
  • Resolved a networking problem between web server and database server.
  • Provided the database server with more memory (not that lack of memory was a problem).
  • Implemented more cacheing of static resources.
  • Tuned PHP cacheing/precompilation.
System loads are well within the ability of the hardware - although there are the inevitable spikes at peak usage times.

I'm currently investigating cookie options, as the loudest "shouts" in this thread appear to be directed at an apparent performance difference between logged-in and logged-out usage. I haven't actually experienced this myself, but more than one person has mentioned it.

In order to gain an idea of system performance, I use the excellent utilities at pingdom.com and webpagetest.org, varying the location that the tests are performed from - and the results are encouraging with very good scores across the board. The only recommendation from these tests is to use a CDN for serving static resources - but that would be a tad expensive, so I implemented longer cacheing times instead :-)

Please continue to give feedback as it is very useful.

Thanks,
Freddie
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

I take it you are running PHP 7.2.x Freddie, it is faster than 5.6/7.1

if you can you may also want to try enabling http2 protocol in apache.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

weatherist34
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: OSX High Sierra

Post by weatherist34 »

hello unfortunately it is no different from day one .. perhaps try pinging from various locations around the world might give you a better picture as per previous attempts takes just under two minutes to get to this point of posting a reply from the login , read post . a question did steve run it using CDN , my own experience of CDN use if everything is served from the same CDN i.e scripts , files then you benefit if there are multiple CDNs in use for libraries,scripts,urls etc then you dont reap the benefit because the browser still goes through the stop start process odf load one library then get the next if it doesnt reside in the same path. recall another popular template used multiple cdn libraries it served real no benefit apart from saving localized server cpu performance it didnt improve performance for the end user .

however not understanding the structure of this forum i could be barking up the wrong tree .. but use of CDN to reap the real benefit is use only one CDN to deliver libraries etc..
freddie

Post by freddie »

weatherist34 wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 6:15 am hello unfortunately it is no different from day one
Thank you for the feedback. That's not good to hear.
weatherist34 wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 6:15 amperhaps try pinging from various locations around the world might give you a better picture
I use some website testing services that offer this functionality (and a lot more besides) and I'm looking for patterns.
weatherist34 wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 6:15 am a question did steve run it using CDN
No, he didn't.
weatherist34 wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 6:15 ammy own experience of CDN use if everything is served from the same CDN i.e scripts , files then you benefit if there are multiple CDNs in use for libraries,scripts,urls etc then you dont reap the benefit because the browser still goes through the stop start process odf load one library then get the next if it doesnt reside in the same path. recall another popular template used multiple cdn libraries it served real no benefit apart from saving localized server cpu performance it didnt improve performance for the end user
Web server CPU performance isn't a concern - there's plenty of spare capacity. Farming out your static content to a CDN can be expensive - but it can also be emulated by setting good "Expires" headers to ensure anything static is cached by users browsers for a long time. That way, you get relatively poorer performance when you first visit the site, but should be quicker thereafter. This strategy runs into problems if proxies are not configured correctly. And there are usually some people who insist on not using their browser cache.

Thank you anyway.
Freddie
weatherist34
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: OSX High Sierra

Post by weatherist34 »

hopefully something will get resolved and I appreciate your help no one likes to be told its slow then the next person sez it is fine because it doesnt resolve you basically want everyone saying thats better anyway wont trouble you anymore just pop back now and again and look for the omprovements .. screenshot of last post timeframe
cumulsslow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
freddie

Post by freddie »

weatherist34 wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 8:25 am hopefully something will get resolved and I appreciate your help no one likes to be told its slow then the next person sez it is fine
In an attempt to try and resolve this problem, I will be making some changes to the board cookie settings on Saturday 17-Nov-2018 at 11:00 UTC. I will make an announcement post to this effect.

Thanks for your patience!
Freddie
dimitris vichos
Weather Station: wh 1080
Operating System: linux mint 19

Post by dimitris vichos »

i m very happy for this page and cumulus still alive!!

on my laptop with linux mint

the forum page from bookmark with chromium browser
and the this thread and reply button 15 seconds delay every click.
Meteostation of Nea Moudania Chalkidiki Greece
https://kairos.moudania.com/index.php
M1DUL
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2 Plus Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro Version

Post by M1DUL »

Still no change for me, it takes 15 seconds to log in, or read posts.
I find I am still just reading odd posts not logged in, as it still seems a lot quicker.
Mike

Weather Station : Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus Daytime Far's
Cumulus MX v.3.28.6 build 3283
https://branksomeweather.co.uk/index.htm
THX
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by THX »

Freddie:

Actually, utilizing a CDN is free via Cloudflare!

Troy Hunt outlines this nicely in a four-part YouTube series here.

I used this to secure my weather website. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahdtl7_eXoE
tomcatuk
Weather Station: ----> Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10 20H2 19042.685

Post by tomcatuk »

Hi all I wrote about this problem elsewhere not realising there was a thread all about it...

"....just found something strange if I don't log in and I have tried this with both google Chrome and Microsoft edge there is no delay and I can wizz through the site, as soon as I am logged into the site using either of these browsers that's when it takes 15 seconds for a page load, the downside to this is I obviously can't reply... but if that helps... could it be something to do with privileges just taking a guess here....
Regards Steve