Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

It's too danged dependable!!!!!!

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
Intheswamp
Weather Station: Davis VP2+
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

It's too danged dependable!!!!!!

Post by Intheswamp »

Ok, I've got a serious problem...

I'm running Cumulus v1.9.4 1079 along with Ken's Saratoga templates and have been for the last 3-1/2 years. http://www.beeweather.com runs on an old 10-year old Dell D610 laptop...it sends info on to several other weather-reporting websites. It simply chugs along, doing it's thing...the biggest problems I have are with Goddaddy and maybe an unplugged power cable (wife sweeping floor<sigh>) every now and then. But really, it just goes and goes and goes. The only issue I have is that one time my VP2's rain-gauge got stopped up and I let it drain through the tipper...man what a rain-rate it racked up...it's still shows an 80" per hour rate in the records...maybe one day I'll try to figure out how to straighten that out, but no one's ever complained about it, so...

The problem is that this (old?) version of Cumulus is so dependable that I don't ever have to mess with it unless I add some photos or something, or maybe want a new page added. Maintenance...sheese, that's cleaning the bird poop out of the rain gauge and occasionally opening the laptop screen and telling Java that "No" that I don't want to install the latest version that won't work with my Windows XP operating system anyhow!

So, what's the problem? Well, I know all things must come to an end. I don't think Cumulus or the Saratoga templates on my laptop will be a problem, but one day the magic smoke will escape from some unknown, unloved, forgotten, but all important resistor or cap or IC or... And poor ol' Ed's going to be standing there with a dumb look on his face 'cause he's several years older now and has forgotten most of the details of how he got Cumulus and the Saratoga temps up and running in the first place...not to mention he's terrible at back-ups. "Back ups"? We don't need no stinking back-ups!!! Cumulus is SUPERMAN!!!!! But...Michael Dell ain't.<sigh> Oh well....I guess I'll be crying on Steve and Ken's shoulders...again. ;)

My hat is off to Steve for a wonderful, tough, resilient, stable, even a caveman (like me) can run it piece of software!!! And to Ken for the great web templates. What a great pair!!! They've both been a pleasure to run for the foundation of my weather website for going on four years now.

Now, you may ask... Why did senile ol' Ed go and post this rant about his website if he ain't having a problem? The answer is....
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
...a little bit ago I realized I hadn't donated this year. Hopefully I did last year, I'm a scrooge if I didn't. But, alas, this isn't my first rave at folks for donating...so I will continue. 8-) These guys put a lot (in this regards "lot" means hours and hours and hours of time, energy, brainpower, etc) into the software and coding that we never see. Then they lay it out there for us to calmly hit "DOWNLOAD" and install on our computer in the comfort of our homes...if we have a slow connection we can go eat twinkies and watch reruns of "The Real McCoys" while it downloads. Then, when we go back and bumble our way through trying to install them (bumble because we don't take the time to read the instructions) we bug them for an answer for our own ineptitude. ...and (probably muttering under their breaths...I wouldn't blame them if they do) they respond with the much sought "fix" that we need to get our wonderfully original weather stations online. Then we quickly forget about who actually wrote the software, did the coding, worked the kinks out, and straightened our mistakes out for us. I figured the least I could do would be to buy them a sandwich and drink...and not off the dollar-menu at McDonalds!!!! I'm no rich guy, but, hey...rights right!

So, my question to you, the happy users of Cumulus and Saratoga, have you shown your gratitude to these guys lately??? ;)

Merry Christmas!!!
Ed
Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4 Build 1079
WU - KALRUTLE2 // PWS - BEEWEATHER // CWOP - EW2927 // Weather-Cam
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: It's too danged dependable!!!!!!

Post by PaulMy »

And you also have a very Merry Christmas Ed!

Re your concern about "what if...." don't worry now as the users group will gladly come and help when needed to keep/get your station and website working again.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

Intheswamp
Weather Station: Davis VP2+
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: It's too danged dependable!!!!!!

Post by Intheswamp »

Just checking back in and saw your message Paul. We had a good Christmas...had the daughters and granddaughters here so we were good. Oh yea, a SIL was present, too. ;)

Yes, the forum, both here and Wxforum.com, are both great resources for anyone interested in delving into weather stations and websites. Great group of smart people...well, a few oddities, like me :) but good folks, none the less. ;)

It's really amazing how solid Cumulus is!!! I mean, I never have issues with it. And I've also gotta admit the little old laptop that I've got it running on simply sits there and hums along...just looked at my Cumulus system status and the server and Cumulus have been up and running for over 32 days since the last shutdown (power outage). I think my longest, non-stop run has been close to six months...amazing.

Well, if something happens to the station you *know* that I'll be the first to yell out on the forums. I know that you've helped me a lot in the past as have others. Just a great group of folks!!!!

Ed
Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4 Build 1079
WU - KALRUTLE2 // PWS - BEEWEATHER // CWOP - EW2927 // Weather-Cam