Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

any tips on rain photography

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

any tips on rain photography

Post by daj »

Anyone got tips on rain photography ... other than the obvios, keep the camera dry. :lol:

I have a burning desire to take some pics of rain drops falling and just wondered what the best approach would be.
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
akasonny
Weather Station: Zephyr TD-1000
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: any tips on rain photography

Post by akasonny »

An umbrella?

Joking. Actually, I used to have the same interest. I ended up using a very fast lens speed when I wanted to capture the drop falling...along with high-speed film (yea...before digital). Also a tripod was a must to keep the camera steady and remote plunger to activate the shutter. I captured lightening and fireworks the same way. Its not for your average "snapshot taker" cuz everything happens so quickly.

Later I found that I enjoyed another facet of that sort of thing by capturing a new raindrop on a leaf or flower with a slightly out-of-focus backdrop of falling rain.

Now, with digital cams, you can capture three+ frames within milliseconds of one-another and that often helps capture one worth saving.

Good luck
daj wrote:Anyone got tips on rain photography ... other than the obvios, keep the camera dry. :lol:

I have a burning desire to take some pics of rain drops falling and just wondered what the best approach would be.
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Re: any tips on rain photography

Post by daj »

i've got the remote shutter release and the tripod so I am good to go I think. This crazy idea developed after capturing dew drops on spiders webs and now I am determined to get some rain drops.
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi