Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX release v3.0.2 build 3052 - 13 September 2019.
Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014

See the Wiki for downloading either version.

Webcam software?

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
User avatar
daj
Posts: 2041
Joined: Tue 29 Jul 2008 8:00 pm
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX
Location: SW Scotland
Contact:

Webcam software?

Post by daj » Thu 20 Aug 2009 2:25 pm

I'd like to pull together details on the webcam software people use in conjunction with Cumulus for a page on our Wiki

If you have any experience, please let me know what you are using, your experiences, what hardware, etc

Once I have a few I can pull together the bare bones of the page and then we can all work on updating it

thanks all
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi

User avatar
gwheelo
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed 11 Jun 2008 7:36 pm
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1
Location: L'Estartit, Spain
Contact:

Re: Webcam software?

Post by gwheelo » Fri 21 Aug 2009 10:18 pm

I am using a Trendnet IP-400 webcam http://www.trendnet.com/products/prodde ... 00&cat=150

This unit has software embedded in firmware and its own webserver. A wireless version is also available. Functionality is very complete except for the lack of a time stamp on the image. My unit has been operating for over 18 months without any problems. One nice feature is it is self booting. During power failures it will restart and resume uploading images on its own when power returns. There is a wide area of adjustment for the image characteristics and image type. For instance still, video via activeX or Java with or without administrative control. Administrative control is layered. Nice range of motion via internet control when enabled by administrator. Focal length is set and focus is by hand. My unit is mounted in an inverted glass kitchen canister and sits on bracket mounted to my chimney.

Image available at: http://www.wheelocknet.net/cam/index.htm Look for the "Live Video" button just below the still image.

George Wheelock
Image

mentero
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed 03 Jun 2009 2:01 pm
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Location: Spain

Re: Webcam software?

Post by mentero » Sat 22 Aug 2009 8:37 am

I am using a Logitech Quickcam s5500 on a remote server for ftp snapshot updates every hour. No live video.
Is is usb connected and protected by what used to be a halogen garden lamp, similar to this:

Image

The software used is Tincam. A bit overkill for snapshot usage, but not that expensive.
A scheduler takes care of turning on and off the camera software every hour, since the usb connection is very CPU hungry, and the server is an old PII with a lightweight XP.

The results are here: http://www.meteolea.tk

Missing photos are a result of the poor hardware.
The dimension of the picture is 640x480 JPEG quality 95%.

I have come to the (maybe wrong) conclusion that fixed focus webcam will always give blurry images when used for landscape snapshot. In the long run, I plan to use a photo camera for that purpose.

Miguel mentero

User avatar
w5afw
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu 29 Jan 2009 8:48 pm
Weather Station: ws-2315
Location: Houston, the Eagle has landed, TX
Contact:

Re: Webcam software?

Post by w5afw » Sun 23 Aug 2009 3:39 pm

I have a veo camera with built-in serve and pan/tilt/zoom that works very well; but I can't figure out how to auto-logon and upload video stills from it to my site. Instructions that came with it are incomplete and its software is undocumented. Any help?
W5AFW, Lex

Image

Tony
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon 23 Jun 2008 7:27 am
Weather Station: Watson W-8681 (Fine Offset)
Location: Mobberley, Cheshire, England
Contact:

Re: Webcam software?

Post by Tony » Mon 24 Aug 2009 7:54 am

I have been using a Philips ToUcam Pro 2 for the past 5 years http://www.lordpercy.com/philips_toucam_pro_2.htm. I belive this particular model has now been discontinued but I presume it's been superceded by something with more bells and whistles.
The signal feeds into a usb port and is processed by some simple (to use) software from these people http://www.coffeecup.com/webcam/. This displays the latest image on my monitor and also ftp's it every 10" (adjustable) to my webspace with Zen Internet.
when accessed, my website http://www.zen55853.zen.co.uk/camera/coffee_1.htm displays this latest image and refreshes it (also every 10")
Additionally the whole webpage refreshes every 5' so updating the weather data uploaded by Cumulus.

Tony Usher

User avatar
roundtrip
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun 15 Nov 2009 12:10 am
Weather Station: WH1090
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro x32
Location: Freuchie, Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Webcam software?

Post by roundtrip » Tue 08 Dec 2009 12:39 pm

Use the Vivotek 6127 that have been placed inside weatherproof cases. Very powerful WiFi IP webcamera that can stream video and email and upload still captures. We have two set-up on our site: one is done wirelessly and the other is wired. Both upload images via FTP every 10 mins.

Vivotek also have software that can record up to 16 cameras at a time to use them as a CCTV type security system.

Ebuyer had a deal on with everything included in the deal, but this now seems to have finished.

Some blurb from the manufacturer's website:
The VIVOTEK IP6117/6127 is a powerful dual-codec wireless network camera supporting 2-way audio. Connected to an Ethernet connection this camera provides remote access to high-quality video and audio. The 2-way audio and upgradeable day/night features make this camera more suitable for many surveillance applications where light conditions change. IP6117/6127 users can easily access synchronized audio and video footage in real-time via internet connection.

Features
Real-time MPEG-4 and MJPEG Compression (Dual Codec)
Two-way Audio via SIP Protocol
Built-in 802.11b/g WLAN
UPnP and Dynamic IP (DDNS)
Triple-window Motion Detection
Pre- and Post- Alarm Snapshots
Digital I/O for External Sensor and Alarm
Day & Night IR Lens (Optional)
Auto Iris Lens (Optional)
Can heartedly recommend this model.
Many thanks and regards


John A Thomson
allayit
Freuchie Flood Action Group

gemini06720
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon 10 Aug 2009 10:16 pm
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system
Location: World...

Re: Webcam software?

Post by gemini06720 » Wed 09 Dec 2009 2:11 am

Lex,
w5afw wrote:I have a veo camera with built-in serve and pan/tilt/zoom that works very well; but I can't figure out how to auto-logon and upload video stills from it to my site. Instructions that came with it are incomplete and its software is undocumented. Any help?
I know it has been a long time since you posted your original message... :(

I did not see the 'veo' camera mentioned on the page, but it might give you an idea as to which parameters might be required to get your camera going...

Have a look at the following link: http://www.crazypixels.com/support.htm

gemini06720
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon 10 Aug 2009 10:16 pm
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system
Location: World...

Re: Webcam software?

Post by gemini06720 » Wed 09 Dec 2009 2:46 am

OK, I might as well join in... ;)

I have an older Panasonic BL-C30A network camera (I think it is still possible to buy, in North America, that camera model as new and not only as refurbished). The camera connects wirelessly to a router.

To manage the information produced by the camera, I have a dedicated (old and slow 486 PC) computer running Take Command for Windows and both ImageSalsa and VideoSalsa (available from this link:

http://www.imagesalsa.com/

ImageSalsa is running continuously, setup to take a picture every minutes and save those pictures to the hard drive. Once a day, Take Command runs a batch file (script) that check for the presence of the saved images and produces a movie in two different file formats: Flash (flv) and DivX (divx). Once the movies have been produced, Take Command uploads them to one of my Internet server. Once the upload has been completed, the daily files that had been saved by the camera are deleted to free up some space - the camera produces between 550 and 650 daily pictures.

The camera also uploads (FTP) a JPG still image every minute (image that is continuously overwritten) and a MJPEG video (continuously) streaming image.

And then, there is that (still incomplete, still being tested) Web page where the files (videos) are made available to anyone who has time to kill and wants to see the passing of the day on the slope of Mount Tzouhalem (Maple Bay, east coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, west coast of Canada), watch what is happening at the front of the house (looking north-west), overlooking the valley:

[link removed]
Last edited by gemini06720 on Wed 22 May 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
akasonny
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon 15 Jun 2009 4:43 am
Weather Station: Zephyr TD-1000
Operating System: Windows 10
Location: Sahuarita, AZ, USA
Contact:

Re: Webcam software?

Post by akasonny » Wed 09 Dec 2009 2:01 pm

George,
I too have the IP-400 (and a 400W) and I'm very curious about the way in which you mounted it in an inverted kitchen canister.

I've wanted to "weatherize" my installation too but the max operating temperature of these cams is 104 degrees and our air temp can easily reach that. Trendnet says they recommend some sort of cooling (fan?) if mounted in an enclosed container. You have no cooling apparatus? No failures as a result? I don't have your view but I keep one cam on the sky and another on ground features (http://www.members.cox.net/stevene1/weather/webcam.htm)



gwheelo wrote:I am using a Trendnet IP-400 webcam http://www.trendnet.com/products/prodde ... 00&cat=150

This unit has software embedded in firmware and its own webserver. A wireless version is also available. Functionality is very complete except for the lack of a time stamp on the image. My unit has been operating for over 18 months without any problems. One nice feature is it is self booting. During power failures it will restart and resume uploading images on its own when power returns. There is a wide area of adjustment for the image characteristics and image type. For instance still, video via activeX or Java with or without administrative control. Administrative control is layered. Nice range of motion via internet control when enabled by administrator. Focal length is set and focus is by hand. My unit is mounted in an inverted glass kitchen canister and sits on bracket mounted to my chimney.

Image available at: http://www.wheelocknet.net/cam/index.htm Look for the "Live Video" button just below the still image.

George Wheelock

6719jason
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed 08 Apr 2009 12:38 pm
Weather Station: Was a La-Crosse WS2300 Serial
Operating System: None
Location: Weeley, Essex, UK

Re: Webcam software?

Post by 6719jason » Wed 09 Dec 2009 3:07 pm

Ello,

I am using a Microsoft VX-1000 USB Webcam & 'WebcamXP' Software which is connected to a Dell Poweredge Server to capture and upload the Live(Internal Network only) & Still Image(Refreshed every 3/5 seconds but uploaded on average very 15 seconds) along with the data for the Website.

Once the image has been captured and uploaded to the Main Webserver, Weather Data is then overlay-ed onto the image, using a Php Script, for use on the Website & wUnderground. A separate PHP uploads the Webcam image to wUnderground, while another overlays basic information onto the Uploaded Image, which is then uploaded by another PHP Script to another web server which Handles the 24hr HQ Timelapse Video.

2 Batch Files/Scripts are called using Windows Task Scheduler to make all the above happen. Plus around 6 other for the many PHP functions on the site.

The Microsoft VX-1000 I feel takes a good/high quality image while keeping costs down. Long term plan is 3 IP Cams, 1 to replace Microsoft Cam, 1 to face South and another at near ground level (To show ground conditions).

Any other details on my setup can be found at http://www.weeleyweatherstation.info/?page=setup & the Webcam image can be seen at http://www.weeleyweatherstation.info/?page=webcam

User avatar
gwheelo
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed 11 Jun 2008 7:36 pm
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1
Location: L'Estartit, Spain
Contact:

Re: Webcam software?

Post by gwheelo » Thu 10 Dec 2009 5:13 am

Steven -

Wish I was in a position to send a photo of my Trendnet enclosure but the unit is in north-east Spain and I for the moment am in Washington, DC. The enclosed camera operated without incident all last summer. It is vented at the bottom and the inverted glass container has, of course, a clear glass bottom which is now the top. I am certain the internal temps went well above 104 F. Applying a reflective surface on the glass surface may help but I think decent size openings at the bottom are sufficient. a small PC fan could be easily added driven off the camera power connection. This is a wired network connection and the network cable and the power line travel about 30 feet to my Microsoft Home Server box. The camera power is plugged into the server UPS - so surges and short power breaks don't interrupt the transmission. When I return to Spain I will take a photo for you as I can't exactly ask
anyone one else to climb on my roof. I am hoping the entire system will remain up and running while I am away from the site. Microsoft Live Mesh allows me to administer the system remotely. Last year I ran it for a month from Asia!

http://www.wheelocknet.net/cam/index.htm?gb

GW
Image

User avatar
akasonny
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon 15 Jun 2009 4:43 am
Weather Station: Zephyr TD-1000
Operating System: Windows 10
Location: Sahuarita, AZ, USA
Contact:

Re: Webcam software?

Post by akasonny » Thu 10 Dec 2009 5:18 am

GW,

Thanks for that info and your quick response. Well you've given me fodder for thought here. Right now, I have 4 Trendnet cams (2 Securview for security system) and 2 for weather. One is inside but the outside cam is mounted just under a roof overhang. I've always been a bit afraid of rain getting into the small slots in the cam body. I'm beginning to think I can become a little more brave and try something similar to your installation. Not that I'd ever have your view (my housing development encircles me) but still...

Is the canister square or round?

Steven
gwheelo wrote:Steven -

Wish I was in a position to send a photo of my Trendnet enclosure but the unit is in north-east Spain and I for the moment am in Washington, DC. The enclosed camera operated without incident all last summer. It is vented at the bottom and the inverted glass container has, of course, a clear glass bottom which is now the top. I am certain the internal temps went well above 104 F. Applying a reflective surface on the glass surface may help but I think decent size openings at the bottom are sufficient. a small PC fan could be easily added driven off the camera power connection. This is a wired network connection and the network cable and the power line travel about 30 feet to my Microsoft Home Server box. The camera power is plugged into the server UPS - so surges and short power breaks don't interrupt the transmission. When I return to Spain I will take a photo for you as I can't exactly ask
anyone one else to climb on my roof. I am hoping the entire system will remain up and running while I am away from the site. Microsoft Live Mesh allows me to administer the system remotely. Last year I ran it for a month from Asia!

http://www.wheelocknet.net/cam/index.htm?gb

GW

User avatar
gwheelo
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed 11 Jun 2008 7:36 pm
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1
Location: L'Estartit, Spain
Contact:

Re: Webcam software?

Post by gwheelo » Thu 10 Dec 2009 3:06 pm

Perfectly cylindrical - nice quality glass - no bubbles - great for pan and tilt. You might look for a chemical beaker if you are unable to find a good glass kitchen canister.

GW
Image

User avatar
akasonny
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon 15 Jun 2009 4:43 am
Weather Station: Zephyr TD-1000
Operating System: Windows 10
Location: Sahuarita, AZ, USA
Contact:

Re: Webcam software?

Post by akasonny » Thu 10 Dec 2009 3:33 pm

Thanks for that!

I'll persue it.
gwheelo wrote:Perfectly cylindrical - nice quality glass - no bubbles - great for pan and tilt. You might look for a chemical beaker if you are unable to find a good glass kitchen canister.

GW

User avatar
gwheelo
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed 11 Jun 2008 7:36 pm
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1
Location: L'Estartit, Spain
Contact:

Re: Webcam software?

Post by gwheelo » Fri 11 Dec 2009 3:59 am

One more suggestion - stay clear of plastic. My first webcam housing was a plastic canister from the Container Store. It started out crystal clear but within six months the plastic almost matched my dark glasses.

Oh - don't believe everything the engineers at Trend net say. For instance my webcam directly faces the rising sun - something Trendnet indicates will burn out the sensor. I guess it will someday (most likely tomorrow) but it has already survived two and a half years of this abuse.

I would really like to see an optical zoom model or a choice of focal length lenses.

GW
Image

Post Reply