Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Need website advice for Cumulus for absolute beginner

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Need website advice for Cumulus for absolute beginner

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi all,

I've had my Davis VP2 since late April and have been uploading data to Weather Underground via WeatherLink. I also run Cumulus on the same netbook. Both run via VirtualVP. I have no website and would like to create one but have no idea how to get started.

I'm reasonably computer-savvy but web design is something I've never looked at. I dabbled with the idea of using free web space provided by my ISP (Yahoo via BT) but the downside seems to be having to accept adverts which I'd rather avoid. So buying a domain name and paying a sub for my site seems a better alternative but I'd appreciate your views.

My other issue is what HAS to be performed on the PC uploading the data to the internet and what I can do on other PCs on my home network. I use a Samsung NC10 netbook to upload to WU and this is left on 24/7. But it only has a 10" screen with a res of 1024*600 so isn't ideal for designing web pages. Also, the Rapid Fire DLL is quite intrusive on the screen so I want to keep any work on the NC10 to an absolute minimum.

I'd much rather do this on another PC with a larger display but I don't know if this is possible. Ideally, I'd prefer to do all the web stuff on another PC and then just point to it on the Samsung. Again, your advice would be welcomed.

Finally, can anyone recommend a good book for web design. I had a look at Brampton weather site and was very impressed so if Paul C is reading this I'd appreciate your advice. ;)

Here's my WU station data. http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... =ISTOCKPO4
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

keithatrochdale
Weather Station: WH1080PC
Operating System: XP

Re: Need website advice for Cumulus for absolute beginner

Post by keithatrochdale »

I think Steve might be able to help you with web space for £5, you can buy names from lots of places for a few £ per year.
Nothing is foolproof, to a sufficiently talented fool . . .

WH1080PC Rochdale UK, 171m
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

keithatrochdale wrote:I think Steve might be able to help you with web space for £5
Unfortunately, I can no longer offer web space.
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Thanks for the replies. John Dann of ProData recommended one but before I commit myself to that I wanted to get more advice.

Can anyone answer my question about website design please? Can most of it be done from a different computer to that running Cumulus? Are there any FAQs regarding how to setup Cumulus for the beginner assuming no web knowledge whatsoever?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

RayProudfoot wrote:Can anyone answer my question about website design please? Can most of it be done from a different computer to that running Cumulus?
I'm not sure I understand the question. You can design your pages on any computer, then copy them to the computer running Cumulus for Cumulus to upload.
Are there any FAQs regarding how to setup Cumulus for the beginner assuming no web knowledge whatsoever?
The section on 'setting up your website' in the help is supposed to be that - but there are some specifics that it can't go into as these depend on the particular web hosting in use. It's also oriented towards using the pages that are supplied with Cumulus.
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Thanks Steve. It would appear possible for me to copy the Cumulus folder plus sub-folders to another computer and use that for the intial setup.

Having done that I could then make the connection from the Cumulus PC to the website. That seems to fulfill my requirements, thanks.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

philcdav
Weather Station: MyDEL WX2008 Mk2 Fine Offset
Operating System: XP and W7

Post by philcdav »

Hi Ray.

Did you sort out a web site?

Here is mine....

http://www.maghull-scene.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/gg_wx.htm
Phil - G0DOR
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi Phil,

No, not yet. I'm still chewing over my options such as free web space or buying a domain name and space. I don't fancy a site being plastered with adverts.

What software did you use to design yours? And how did you learn the basics? I don't want to leap before I know the fundamentals.

BTW, I used to visit my uncle who lived in Lydiate. After he died in 2005 I haven't been back but it's a nice area.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

George Richardson
Weather Station: Davis VP2 wireless

Post by George Richardson »

Hey Ray,

A free web hosting is worth no more than what you paid for it and often less. I had a professional web site designer build my business' site and she recommended buying my domain name from Network Solutions. They are far from the cheapest but I am quite satisfied. I have heard too many horror stories. When I started my Weather web site I bought MY domain name from NS and have them host my site. As far as software, there are many. I use Dreamweaver, many use Front Page, and the biggest bang for the buck is Notepad. I really like Cumulus and have the standard and realtime pages on my site. I would suggest you look at http://www.wxforum.net/index.php for more information.You are welcome to peek at my site http://smlweather.com/index.htm for some ideas.

FWIW

George
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

George Richardson wrote: many use Front Page,
Front Page is now discontinued and replaced by Expression Web. I never liked FP or the code it produced, but I've been using Expression Web for a while now and I quite like it. I'm afraid I've no idea how much it costs, I get mine as part of an MSDN subscription.
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

George Richardson wrote:Hey Ray,

A free web hosting is worth no more than what you paid for it and often less. I had a professional web site designer build my business' site and she recommended buying my domain name from Network Solutions. They are far from the cheapest but I am quite satisfied. I have heard too many horror stories.
Hi George,

Thanks for your message. I only received the notification of your post today rather than Sunday. Not sure if that's a problem with my ISP or Steve's site.

From the advice I've already read it suggests you buy your domain name from a different company than your web host as you may be locked to that provider. Probaboly not a big issue providing you choose the host wisely. I intend starting slowly and building up my site as my experience grows.
George Richardson wrote:When I started my Weather web site I bought MY domain name from NS and have them host my site. As far as software, there are many. I use Dreamweaver, many use Front Page, and the biggest bang for the buck is Notepad. I really like Cumulus and have the standard and realtime pages on my site. I would suggest you look at http://www.wxforum.net/index.php for more information.You are welcome to peek at my site http://smlweather.com/index.htm for some ideas.

FWIW

George
I've had a couple of recommendations for DreamWeaver so that is what I will look to but it is flippin' expensive. Your website looks very good and one day I would like to build mine up to that one day. Thanks for the link to wxforum. I'm already a member there and will have a read through the topics.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

DW is very good, but as you say is very expensive.

What about this ... http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ It's a free community developed tool, and part of the Mozilla foundation who produce FIreFox. Seamonkey is actually a full suite of web browser, mail client and HTML editor in one package.

I haven't used it in some time but might we worth looking at as a start

Others are listed her

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTML_editors
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Thanks David. As someone who has been using Firefox for a few years now that looks a worthwhile alternative. Adobe gets a hammering in PC Pro for ripping off the British. After dollar - pound conversion their products are considerably more expensive over here than in the US. What's the betting DW costs around 500 USD! :x

If I was building a website for a company maybe DW would be a good choice but for a small private site something simpler and cheaper may suffice.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

philcdav
Weather Station: MyDEL WX2008 Mk2 Fine Offset
Operating System: XP and W7

Post by philcdav »

Hi Ray. sri for delay in response. Been really busy. Retired in March, no time since haha

I use HTML Toolkit

http://www.htmlkit.com/

a freebie html editor.

It will involve some learning but there are zillions of free help pages and books galore.

As always, the key is KISS (keep it stupidly simple).

Use Free Site Templates

http://freesitetemplates.com/

I use my own web space (blueyonder). It costs, but as part of the home package (TV, phone and broadband (10 Mb !!!!) ) its affordable @ £40/month

Hope this helps - Phil
Phil - G0DOR
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Thanks Phil. My learning curve has steepened somewhat. I'll have a look at the sites you recommend. I feel a good book is essential as reading up on this away from a PC will be a great help.

I still haven't made a move towards a web hosting service or even a domain name. I feel in a Catch-22 situation. I need to get some software but a book to accompany it is essential but without knowing which software package to go for it's impossible to buy the best book.

Aarrgghh!! I'll take a trip to a good book store and have a browse. One thing I am sure about is buying webspace and not using my ISP's free allocation. At least Cumulus is gathering useful stats whilst I ponder... :D
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.