Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WH1081 USB device

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
dbrb2
Weather Station: WH1090
Operating System: Linux

WH1081 USB device

Post by dbrb2 »

Hi,

I have a WH1081 from maplin. It seems to be working fine, in that the base-station is receiving and displaying data.

However, if I connect it to a linux machine via USB it is not detected at all, even by dmesg

It is certainly getting power from the USB, since I can hear a relay click when connected, and I can run the unit without batteries so long as USB is plugged in, but I can't see it as an HID device.

I have yet to find another USB cable to use, since it is a rather strange USB-A to USB-A, but wondered if there was anything odd about this cable...is it streight through wired for instance?
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: WH1081 USB device

Post by Charlie »

The cable is a defacto "standard" - that is to say, while it is not covered by the USB spec, many manufacturers have gone this route for everything from weather stations to portable hard drives. You can likely pick up similar cables in any corner store, and yes it is straight through.

The issue you are having is more likely related to Linux. In Windows, the device is connected with the generic HID driver and it's interface is made available for any application that knows how to speak to it.

There are Linux weather applications that do that, and likely have a driver but since Cumulus is a Windows program, you won't get much Linux help here. There are a couple gurus that might chime in to help you get going, but you will not be able to use Cumulus.
dbrb2
Weather Station: WH1090
Operating System: Linux

Re: WH1081 USB device

Post by dbrb2 »

Thanks - actually it turned out it was the cable. The power lines were connected, but the data lines were not.

I made up a new cable myself, and now it's working fine.

USB A male to USB A male I have only ever seen used on weather stations, since it clouds the distinction between USB host and client - but what matters is it is working :-)

http://bbarker.dtdns.net/weather/