Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Question about data from console

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
Syl
Weather Station: National Geographic 265NC
Operating System: Win 10 - always uptodate

Question about data from console

Post by Syl »

If an error is encountered in the data stream are all values ignored or just the problematic one?

I have a flakey pressure sensor in my Fine offset (National Geo 265NC).

When MX asks for an update and there is a flakey pressure reading it seems that MX ignores all data not just the problematic pressure reading. Is this correct?

If yes - is there any way to configure MX to ignore all pressure readings or at least accept and display the valid reading?

Thanks
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Question about data from console

Post by mcrossley »

Just the "flakey" reading is ignored, but pressure is one of the core values CMX requires. You can tell CMX to log the values even if it doesn't have the core set via Station Settings > Common Options > Sensor Check
Syl

Post by Syl »

Thanks - It seem here that when the bad pressure value is ignored that no other reading are displayed in MX. It just seems to stop displaying anything. I have stop and restart MX

I will look at sensor check
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Please post your MXdiags file, it could be that the decode is crashing with the bad value for some reason.
Syl

Post by Syl »

Here is one of the files. And there is an issue with a bad value from the flakey pressure gauge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Thanks, yes your pressure value being returned by the console is the 880's so definitely bad.

My FineOffset console did that as well. But it the pressure sensor was still working, just shifted way too low. I added a "large" offset to mine and it then provided sensible values until I binned it.

You can edit the Cumulus.ini file (with CMX stopped), and in the station section find (or add) the entry "EWminpressureMB" in [Station] settings.
Set that to a value of say 800 and you should start to get the pressure readings through again. Then add a large offset to the entry "EWpressureoffset" to attempt to correct the value.
Syl

Post by Syl »

Thank you. I will do the edit.

I am not sure where to find the EWpressureoffset . I

Is that in Settings->Calibrations Setting->Pressure?

If yes - what size offset might you suggest?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

The EWpressureoffset setting goes in the [Station] section.

You need to set it to a value that brings up your current value from the station to what the pressure should be at your location.
Syl

Post by Syl »

Thank you - I had to change both EWminpressureMB = 800 and EWmaxpressureMB = 1300. No crashes for 48 hour - great!!

I am a bit confused.

How are the setting in the Min & Max values in the pressure calibration settings relate to the EW Pressure values in .ini?

Cheers
Cortmalaw
Weather Station: Davis
Operating System: Raspbian

Post by Cortmalaw »

I'm not the expert, but this:

2021-10-17 09:46:41.646 Ignoring bad data: pressure = 881.9
2021-10-17 09:46:41.646 offset = -239.1

looks like you are getting a 'flakey' low reading, then have set an offset to SUBTRACT 239.1 from it.
You should be ADDING in the region of +120 to get a believable (even if not correct for where you are!) 1001.9

Guessing:
EWminpressure and EWmaxpressure are setting the limits at which CumulusMX rejects the data.
You changed it from rejecting values below 900, to allowing down to 800?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Syl wrote: Wed 20 Oct 2021 3:20 pm Thank you - I had to change both EWminpressureMB = 800 and EWmaxpressureMB = 1300. No crashes for 48 hour - great!!

I am a bit confused.

How are the setting in the Min & Max values in the pressure calibration settings relate to the EW Pressure values in .ini?
The EW(min/max)pressureMB values and EWpressureOffset are only used by the FO (and Easyweather) stations internally. They are used to vet the raw pressure data coming from the FO stations as they are notorious for going wrong ;) The offset then attempts to correct "wacky" raw values to reality.

The Calibration Min/Max apply to all stations including the FO - but after the internal checks, and offset has been applied.
The EWpressure values pre-date the general calibration feature.

Cortmalaw wrote: Wed 20 Oct 2021 4:40 pm I'm not the expert, but this:

2021-10-17 09:46:41.646 Ignoring bad data: pressure = 881.9
2021-10-17 09:46:41.646 offset = -239.1

looks like you are getting a 'flakey' low reading, then have set an offset to SUBTRACT 239.1 from it.
You should be ADDING in the region of +120 to get a believable (even if not correct for where you are!) 1001.9
I think the -239.1 was what the console was sending as the value it was using. That should now have been overridden by the value in CMX.
Syl

Post by Syl »

Okay - it seems my pressure sensor is acting up and the value it reports is directly effected by the room temperature. Here is a graph of the temperature and pressure readings for 24 hours. As the temperature increases pressure decreases and vice versa. The local reported pressure have been stable at about 1013 for the past 24 hours

Has anyone encountered this issue with a Fine Offset clone (National Geographic 265NC)?

BTW - if I remove the batteries and unplug the USB connection and reinsert the batteries and USB connection I get the proper reading BUT is starts to drift a short time later
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.