Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

It looks like the end of the cold spell for us

Talk about the weather
weatherfrog80
Weather Station: WH 1080
Operating System: Windows XP SP 3

Re: It looks like the end of the cold spell for us

Post by weatherfrog80 »

We also had some decent snowfall this afternoon which brought us 2 cm additional snow, so that the snowcover is now 6 cm. ;)

Also had the coldest night of the current cold wave this morning, with a low of -10.3°C shortly before 6 a.m.

Those two weeks of winter weather were a welcoming change from the usually dull, grey and drizzling north german winter weather, and while we had highs of -1 to -5°C during most of the past two weeks, temperatures are forecasted to climb up to 10°C by Wednesday- what a weather rollercoaster. :shock:
Best Regards

Georg

Private weatherstation Bremerhaven-Twischkamp
peterh
Weather Station: Alecto WS-5000 rebadged FO 3081
Operating System: Windows server 2008R2

Post by peterh »

Turned out to be "snow on Saturday, and that's the end of this cold spell."

This morning, we're at 2.6 above, 998 hPa and falling, wind Bf4 from the south, and patches of rain.
The white stuff out in the garden looks horrible now... I guess we'll be rid of it on Wednesday. The outlook is that we'll be in the double figures, temperature-wise, by Tuesday.

... time to get the t-shirts and shorts out? ;-)
An opinion should be the result of a thought process, not a substitution.
http://www.dnl-core.net/CothenWeather/
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

Just a few days ago, I was talking to an acquaintance of mine working for the meteorological department of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and her words were not encouraging when I asked for her view point about the odd weather we had seen in Canada (and in North America) over the past months ... I guess we (everyone, all of us) have to get used to those kind of unusable weather events... :roll: ...after all, we have done (almost) everything we could think of to destroy our environment... :evil:
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

All this UK newspaper rubbish about 'big freeze' really is a load of codswallop but I guess a lot of us knew that anyway. :lol:

The 2 week cold-snap didn't even get close to any of my January records let alone my all-time ones. Maybe this part of the UK was lucky missing large snowfalls but even if we hadn't I doubt my all-time low of -11C would have been threatened.

For really low overnight temps you need three conditions:- 1) snow-covered ground, 2) clear skies and 3) calm conditions.

This part of the world hasn't seen any of those 3 in the last couple of weeks. Maybe February will surprise.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

peterh

Post by peterh »

RayProudfoot wrote:For really low overnight temps you need three conditions:- 1) snow-covered ground, 2) clear skies and 3) calm conditions.
This part of the world hasn't seen any of those 3 in the last couple of weeks. Maybe February will surprise.
We've had all three. Yet temperatures did not get as low as they did during that one week in February 12. We got as low as -13.0 a week ago, and two more nights at about -11, and twelve days on end where the temperature didn't get above zero. So... officially it was a cold wave locally... but nothing widely out of the ordinary, and definitely no Horror Winter.

Apparently, the Dutch KNMI will not register it as an official cold wave, because their HQ station in De Bilt didn't get three days under minus 10 - when, under a cracking clear sky, we registered -11.3 on Jan. 23, they got no lower than -9.3.
Looking at my graphs, I can see that we must've had a clear period between 3:15 and 4:15 that night... so NL missed an Official Cold Wave by a hair's breadth.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi Peter,

Clearly the cold has been far more intense in the Netherlands than the UK although some valleys in Scotland may have had temperatures close to yours. I'm sure winter hasn't finished with us yet so you may yet experience an official 'cold wave'.

It would have been interesting to see what temperatures you might have recorded back in January 2010 - the coldest the UK has experienced in recent years.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

peterh

Post by peterh »

I didn't have a weather station back then. I don't remember it to be spectacularly cold, though. Let me check KNMI's records...
... no, nothing spectacular. 4 days under minus 10, coldest day -11.1.

The last time we had some serious cold was last year February. 14 days in a row, starting Jan. 30, during which the temperature only got above zero once. 7 of those days were below -10, lowest minimum -18.9

The reason why this was interesting (in a bad way) was that it was preceded by a comparatively warm January. We had a record 13 degrees on New Year's Day. So nature was just rubbing its eyes, waking up and contemplating a nice hto cup of coffee when it was slammed in the back of the skull by February.

My bay leaf tree died that winter (among many other stuff in our garden).

I thionk that it usually gets colder here because, when we get the wind from the east or northeast, there is no sea to warm it up - we get it straight from Siberia or the Nordics. And when it's a west wind, you've already taken most of the wet stuff out for us. ;-)
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

peterh wrote:I didn't have a weather station back then. I don't remember it to be spectacularly cold, though. Let me check KNMI's records...
... no, nothing spectacular. 4 days under minus 10, coldest day -11.1.

The last time we had some serious cold was last year February. 14 days in a row, starting Jan. 30, during which the temperature only got above zero once. 7 of those days were below -10, lowest minimum -18.9
Ouch! My lowest max in that period was +1.6C and the lowest overnight -5.3C. Quite a contrast especially as you're probably further south than me. :o
The reason why this was interesting (in a bad way) was that it was preceded by a comparatively warm January. We had a record 13 degrees on New Year's Day. So nature was just rubbing its eyes, waking up and contemplating a nice hto cup of coffee when it was slammed in the back of the skull by February.
Yes, it was mild here too. I only recorded 8 frosts that January. Feb '12 was the coldest month last winter and the only Feb to be the coldest month in 3 years of recording. I'm reasonably confident this Feb will be warmer than Jan. In any case the days are now appreciably longer which helps keep the spirits up.
I thionk that it usually gets colder here because, when we get the wind from the east or northeast, there is no sea to warm it up - we get it straight from Siberia or the Nordics. And when it's a west wind, you've already taken most of the wet stuff out for us. ;-)
Agree. The North Sea is quite shallow so is quite cold compared to the Atlantic. I used to live in Norwich so I know all about that easterly. It was bitter even after the North Sea's attempts to warm it up!
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

From cold to very mild. Today I've recorded my highest January temperature since I started back in May 2009.

13.6C :D
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

peterh

Post by peterh »

Funnily enough I just (as in 5 minutes ago) recorded an all-time high of 12,2 degrees. The warm front of Steve's low passed us at around 17:00.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Make the most if this short warm spell. Cold again by Friday. Temp now stuck around 12C at 20.30.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

peterh

Post by peterh »

Ha... cold. :mrgreen:
The KNMI judgment of the model output leads to mild frost during the night, and Tx well above zero. Compared to the last weeks, that's mild ;-)

On top of that, my employer takes us (including our partners) to Winterberg from Friday morning to Monday afternoon, to celebrate the 20th birthday of the company. So we're hoping for some snow. It looks like it might materialise.
I'd rather walk, or langlauf, in snow than in the rain.

In other news, we're now at 12.8 degrees. My green "New record" led is burning out like it was when I installed the station a little over a month ago.
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

Snow prospects for many areas on Sunday and Monday, likely to be disruptive.