Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

The Russians are invading

Talk about the weather
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

The Russians are invading

Post by robynfali »

Well, russian weather anyways.

The UK is supposed to be hit today by a russian cold front, plunging us into 4 weeks of Freeze again. I really do pray it is not as bad as it was in 2010. Too many lost lives because of that, and the emergency services struggled to cope as well. Thankfully various voluntary services did step in to help.!

Stay safe guys n gals
ken555
Weather Station: Fine Offset clone (Maplin N96GY)
Operating System: Win 10 x64

Re: The Russians are invading

Post by ken555 »

We'll let you know when it passes us by.

Maybe we can track it down/across the country.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Just an area of high pressure extending westwards over the UK. Looks like pressure will exceed 1040hPa by Wednesday but that air tends to be dry so days could be sunny and cold with severe night frosts. Canadians should treat the word severe with a large pinch of salt. ;)

However, if low pressure extends northwards from France there is the possibility of significant snow for the southern half of England. As this area includes London you can expect enormous media coverage and overeaction. Headlines like "Snow blankets London causing chaos" will no doubt appear once 1" has fallen. :lol:

Forgive my cynicism - been there, seen it all! 1962/63 again? Probably not.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

ironeagleuk
Weather Station: Maplins N96GY (Watson W-8681)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home

Post by ironeagleuk »

RayProudfoot wrote:Just an area of high pressure extending westwards over the UK. Looks like pressure will exceed 1040hPa by Wednesday but that air tends to be dry so days could be sunny and cold with severe night frosts. Canadians should treat the word severe with a large pinch of salt. ;)

However, if low pressure extends northwards from France there is the possibility of significant snow for the southern half of England. As this area includes London you can expect enormous media coverage and overeaction. Headlines like "Snow blankets London causing chaos" will no doubt appear once 1" has fallen. :lol:

Forgive my cynicism - been there, seen it all! 1962/63 again? Probably not.
I live in hope....if it comes up from France, it will hit here first hopefully.

Eastern Europe seems covered in snow at the mo, but the wind is blowing the wrong way to bring it up and over

I've been keeping an eye on this site: http://www.awekas.at/en/temp.php?nid=10
Richard

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Don't be fooled by the wind direction. When it rains the wind is invariably from the south but the wind behind the front is pushing rain eastwards.

I had quite a surprise when I saw how large the high is over Russia. Central pressure is 1058Hpa. :shock: That can only happen with very cold air. It's a monster so keep an eye on it here. Any westward movement and things become interesting. http://www.meteorologica.info/Euroisobars.htm or at www.cheadlehulmeweather.co.uk

I had a look at the site you linked to but couldn't find any pressure charts, only coloured blocks indicating temp and pressure. Certainly very cold over there at present. -18C in Moscow now.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

ironeagleuk

Post by ironeagleuk »

I see the Met Office have issued a Yellow weather warning for Snow

Yellow Alert of Snow29 Jan 2012, 12:00
Issued at - 28 Jan 2012, 11:42
Valid from - 29 Jan 2012, 12:00
Valid to - 30 Jan 2012, 12:00

Rain pushing in from the west is expected turn to snow on the leading edge, with the potential for accumulations of several cm, especially on hills. For Wales and SW England the snow is expected to begin on Sunday, whilst further east it will begin on Monday morning. The public are advised to be aware of the potential for disruption to traffic. At this stage there remains considerable uncertainty in the eastern extent of any snow so please check for further updates.
Source: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... nings.html
Richard

robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by robynfali »

Yellow Snow? hmmmmmm

Hit -1c here, Snowdon and surrounded mountains blanketed in snow, quite far down as well!
Spider-Vice
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian

Post by Spider-Vice »

Meanwhile because of the Russians, we might just freeze aswell. Need to pray and be optimistic a LOT!

ECMWF output:
Last edited by Spider-Vice on Thu 14 Oct 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hectic
Weather Station: WH-3080
Operating System: windows vista

Post by hectic »

Well I hope we do get a decent amount of snow because it then means that My missus didn't waste her money when she purchased a sledge for the boy. :D
ironeagleuk

Post by ironeagleuk »

it's not looking as though the snow risk will be as widespread as previously thought now....although the yellow alert is still there
Richard

ironeagleuk

Post by ironeagleuk »

The Yellow Alert has gone now....although they do say it's going to get colder during the week, so I expect an ice warning will appear at least
Richard

ironeagleuk

Post by ironeagleuk »

Yellow alert for ice now alll the way down the east side of England and Scotland, and for the SW England across to Northern Ireland http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... nings.html
Richard

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

The high cell over western Russia split into two earlier today with one cell having a central pressure of 1060hPa. Since then it seems to have merged back into a single cell but pressure is now 1062hPa! :shock: I don't remember when there was such an intense cell. According to Wiki "The highest barometric pressure ever recorded on Earth was 1,085.7 hectopascals (32.06 inHg) measured in Tonsontsengel, Mongolia on 19 December 2001". So some way short of that but still quite rare.

It's moved back eastwards but its influence is more widespread given its size. If this monster does move west we could be stuck with some very cold weather with significant wind chill.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

This is why the chap in Sweden in another thread was getting 'exceptional weather' in his forecast, as the pressure was outside the normal limits. I was going to question whether there was some sort of problem with his station for him to be having a reading of 1055 mb, and then I remembered this intense high.
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Did you see this message from a chap in Denmark? https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6936

Although quite a way away from the centre of the cell he'll still be getting high readings but his problem appears to be one of wildly fluctuating values.

I can't decide if I want it to move westwards for a record high pressure reading because my gas bill will take a big hit! :?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.