Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Post your Averages & Extremes for 2011 here!

Talk about the weather
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Post your Averages & Extremes for 2011 here!

Post by RayProudfoot »

serowe wrote:Keep in mind he is The Top End (read v.close to Darwin) so virtually equatorial (is it or just tropical?) - they don;t normally get much of a variation in pressure - summer it tends to stay around the 1006-1009 mb reading all the time and the reading of 992 corresponded to a low of 963 at Darwin Airport - I can;t find any record of a TC so probably a tropical low and nothing more. The dry season, starts around April, sees a sudden jump in pressure to around 1015-1018 mb and that remains stable until the start of the wet season (monsoon) around Oct-Nov (about Oct 29 2011). This page - http://reg.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/IDCJD ... test.shtml - can be used to view monthly Darwin Airport AWS figures.
Despite his proximity to the Equator - 12S - I would have expected more variation in pressure but with no storms the lack of change is understandable. I thought southern Spain was bad but this is a whole new set of rules.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

serowe
Weather Station: WM918
Operating System: Win Server 2008 R2

Post by serowe »

GraemeT wrote:Serowe,
Yes, 2011 has been our wettest year here since 1992 when I started rain measurements. Our previous highest rainfall was 1996 with 1228mm.
I stillhave to transcribe all of my records between 83 and 2000 - they were all paper based and have been put on the back burner due to health issues over the past year which (I hope!) have now been mostly conquered...
GraemeT wrote:I'm not at all surprised at the variance between F't'g and bayswater.
True - we have such perfect weather here that all other suburbs consider FTG the Centre Of Paradise in Vic :)

Drop me a PM sometime - if you have data that far back Melb Water may be interested in hearing from you (there is one other rain reader in North Bayswater with data back to 1968....

Stephen
Punctuation is the difference between 'Let's eat, grandma' and 'Let's eat grandma'
GraemeT
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2355 & WS-2306
Operating System: Windoze 7, 10, 11

Post by GraemeT »

A link to my Excel workbook: http://weather.gktnet.com/rainchart.php

The gap between December 2003 and April 2004 was when we shifted house (500metres) and the raingauge disappeared in the move. :lol:

cheers.
Cheers,
Graeme.
MickinMoulden
Weather Station: WS-1081 with rain gauge mod
Operating System: Windows 7 & 1.9.3 b1059

Post by MickinMoulden »

serowe wrote:
RayProudfoot wrote:Looking through the various stats the one that jumped out for me was the tiny range of barometric pressure from Michael in Oz. Only 26 millibars for the entire year!!

Do you not suffer from cyclones or other low pressure areas? And whilst I appreciate intense high pressure needs cold air 1017 seems so low. You don't appear to get much 'weather'.
Keep in mind he is The Top End (read v.close to Darwin) so virtually equatorial (is it or just tropical?) - they don;t normally get much of a variation in pressure - summer it tends to stay around the 1006-1009 mb reading all the time and the reading of 992 corresponded to a low of 963 at Darwin Airport - I can;t find any record of a TC so probably a tropical low and nothing more. The dry season, starts around April, sees a sudden jump in pressure to around 1015-1018 mb and that remains stable until the start of the wet season (monsoon) around Oct-Nov (about Oct 29 2011). This page - http://reg.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/IDCJD ... test.shtml - can be used to view monthly Darwin Airport AWS figures.
On the 16th Feb we had Cyclone Carlos pass overhead, only Cat. 1, but it broke records for rain. Darwin International Airport (15km from here), recorded rain that broke 1 day and 2 day records which resulted in our 2010/2011 wet season to a rain totalling more than 3000mm.
As for pressure, yes, anything below 1000hPa is considered low and anything above 1010hPa is high. The most famous of cyclones, TCTracy in 1974, reach something like 964hPa. So it astounds me that someone here got 900hPa. That's crazy. So as for our weather, wind and pressure isn't much to look at, but when it comes to intense rain and sudden gusts, people come from all over Australia and even the world just to catch a glimpse of our wet season storms. Here are some average photo's: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 386&type=3
Michael, Palmerston, NT Australia www.Palmerston-WeatherImageNo image? I'm offline!
ImageImage
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Michael,

Thanks for the history and photos. Those are certainly impressive storms not dissimilar to some I experienced in South Africa back in March.

With depressions rolling in off the North Atlantic and high pressure cells invading from the nearby European mainland Britain is certainly at the crossroads of weather.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

6719jason
Weather Station: La-Crosse WS3502
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by 6719jason »

Happy New Year everybody!

Averages and Extremes for Weeley, Essex UK during 2011
Avg2011.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
werribee_au
Weather Station: WH-1081 (Jaycar Digitech XC0348)
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by werribee_au »

Ok, here's my 2011 stats.

Happy New Year! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
serowe

Post by serowe »

General question here after seeing so many of these images being posted.

Is this a big design flaw or is nobody putting their location in the page that shows the extremes? All I see on every one of them is 'Averages and Extremes for...........2011' which, to me, is fine if you are posting the image and remember to state where you are from, but the image itself becomes useless because it doesn't identidy where the 'Average and Extremes' are for...

Without this it makes the images pointless really.
Punctuation is the difference between 'Let's eat, grandma' and 'Let's eat grandma'
john09cw
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY
Operating System: Raspberry Pi/Windows 11

Post by john09cw »

Location is in the profile of the member, to the left.
serowe

Post by serowe »

Think you've missed the thrust of my question - and no it isn't always in the users profile. Have a look through those already posted and you will find simply 'India', 'USA', Somerset, Berkshire, etc - these places cover a LARGE area.

The image itself doesn't state where the information is for. Unless, of course, you are going to post the image here, grab a snap of the forum display and then show that around!

Given that some users are concerned that their sensors are reading 1/2 a degree out of true (or similar) I just find it odd that extremes/records can be posted without any proper identifying name on the panel.
GraemeT
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2355 & WS-2306
Operating System: Windoze 7, 10, 11

Post by GraemeT »

Steven,
Don't forget that most of us do place a link to our weather site in our posts, and that indicates the specific location the data came from.

Cheers.
Cheers,
Graeme.
serowe

Post by serowe »

Graeme - I understand that but the point I am making is that the Cumulus generated image itself, which has this information available, doesn't make use of it. And, as I pointed out, a number of posters in this thread have extremely vague locations - India, USA.

I wouldn't have thought it too hard to include the location in the image generation in the first place - this would then make the image more meaningful allowing for it to be posted/pasted anywhere and it is immediately apparent WHERE the figures are for.

I am sure some people want 'bragging rights' in places other than this forum :)
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

But people are posting screen shots of a dialog that is designed to be viewed on your own local macine, it was never designed to be posted anywhere else. It does provide the ability to copy the data to the clip board so you can post it in a text form and format/include whatever extra data you want. I don't think its realistic that Cumulus adds the station name and location information to every dialog that people may post.
serowe

Post by serowe »

Lets agree to disagree then and remember that Iceberg had a 2011 low of -17.7C and a 2011 high of 36.6C (now, where is Iceberg?); the USA had a 2011 low of -10.7F and a 2011 high of 98.4F; and one of the largest countries on the planet, India, had a 2011 low of 5.2C and a 2011 high of 36.3. (At least in this case you can actually see the name of the station in the wider then usual clip).

As I said before, I find it extremely wierd that users fight over perceived 1 or 2 degree temperature sensor 'inaccuracies', wind vanes that aren't appropriately located; humidity readings that are inaccurate indoors etc etc - but don't see an issue with not putting a location on a generated screen of annual extremes (whether it is for local or distributed use). And, if the former, why post them here in the first place? :)
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I agree not providing a reasonable location either in your profile or the accompaning text is a little short sighted, but there again I thought posting the images a bit ott myself :|