Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WOW is now live!

Talk about the weather
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

WOW is now live!

Post by nking »

The UK MetOffice has launched WOW (Weather Observations Website) is now live on the Invent section of our website.
Here is the link http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Re: WOW is now live!

Post by daj »

I wonder if Steve has done any work on this (I know he was working on a project). To upload data to the site it seems to prefer an HTTP request rather than a file upload so hopefully Cumulus can have this feature added to it.
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by robynfali »

I have registered for this, but i am TOTALLY lost after registering, no clue what to do at all?
daj

Post by daj »

Yes, there is quite a lot too it. First thing is to register a site if you want to upload data -- there is a lot of info required in the process!

I'm still wading through it
David
kippfordweather.uk
nking

Post by nking »

I'm just working my way through this but on this link for automatic update Cumulus is specifically mentioned http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/welcome

Automatic *
For users who own a compatible Automatic Weather Station (AWS) using software such as Weather Display or Cumulus.
nking

Post by nking »

I think I'll hold off completing until Steve can comment etc. Also I notice a slight issue regarding data re Wind speed, only Knots or M/S!
daj

Post by daj »

Cumulus certainly has the ability to produce the file WOW needs for a manual upload, but from what I can see the auto upload needs an HTTP GET/POST command, which Cumulus does not support. I can do it in Toolbox if needed but given that Steve was working on 'something' this may be it.

When he is back he may shed some light on things -- I think he is back Saturday
David
kippfordweather.uk
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by robynfali »

Think I have to agree, i have registered myself, thats as far as I am going at the moment, maybe steve can create a "sticky" somewhere when he comes back off his hols!

I am away from tomorrow for 7 days myself anyway, so not going to be able to do anything til i get back unless it's remotely
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

I've also registered after receiving an invitation from them. What I'm not sure of is whether you can mix 'n match the data you provide. It seems to be Standard (metric) or Alternative (imperial) but doesn't say if you can mix them.

I use temp C, hPa, mph and inches. I wouldn't want to have to switch to one system or another. Hopefully Cumulus may be able to do any conversions necessary.

I seem to remember Steve posting elsewhere here that he provided data to them but wasn't invited to participate in beta testing. But it seems they are using his format otherwise Cumulus wouldn't get a mention as being compatible software.

So we await his return and hopefully he can provide the means necessary to allow us to participate. :)
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

daj

Post by daj »

Yes, the fact they specifically mention Cumulus means something is "in the wind"
David
kippfordweather.uk
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

I've created an account. Wasn't too difficult. I noticed they can accept a WeatherLink data file so out of interest I created one for today and tried uploading it. Needless to say it didn't work. I suspect it's probably to do with different wind measurements. Why don't they offer mph as an option? I set my wind up as Knots as it's pretty close to mph. Who uses meters per second? :roll:

In the end I entered a single manual observation which was accepted. But clearly an automated process is required

My main concern is that you appear to have to run everything in either metric or non-metric so I hope Steve can help us out with that.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Hello chaps. I've just got back from my trip to the office and was quite surprised to receive an email from the Scottish Weather Network looking for beta testers for Cumulus for the WOW site!

The story from my point of view (short version) is that I have implemented code in Cumulus for the next beta version which in theory updates the WOW site using a method quite similar to Weather Underground. Having completed the code (a couple of months ago) I asked the WOW developers if I could have access to the beta site so that I could test my code. I've had no reply. I haven't looked at the WOW site recently, but it seems from what you're saying that they have an alternative method of uploading data using a file (I assume this uses web tags) but I wasn't even consulted about this!

Unfortunately I have now started adding support for the Oregon Scientific WMR200 (etc) stations, so the code isn't really in a state where I can release a beta just at the moment.

When I get chance I'll have a look at the WOW site and see if I can work out what's going on, and maybe try to contact the WOW developers. If they're still refusing to speak to me, I can always register and give my code a try and see what happens. I'm just completely bemused at the way this has all been handled.
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi Steve,

Welcome back. I hope you enjoyed your trip to civilisation! ;)

WOW allow you to upload a WeatherLink file but try as I might I couldn't get them to accept mine. You just get a generic "there was an error with the file" message without any clue as to what they didn't like. Great! :roll:

They seem to want data in either Imperial or Metric but not a mixture. Does your code allow for such a mixture? I imagine quite a few of us Cumulus users use a mix so for those interested in providing data some form of conversion in Cumulus may be necessary. What I found strange was wind speeds. Either knots or meters / second. Yeh right! WE all store them like that!! :shock:

It's far too much like hard work supplying manual data to them. As they can accept achived data in a suitable format once we've established how they want the data from an automated process it may be possible for me to provide 2 years of WL data as I have kept that program running.

They ask a lot of questions about your site so it looks like a good venture.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

RayProudfoot wrote:They seem to want data in either Imperial or Metric but not a mixture. Does your code allow for such a mixture? I imagine quite a few of us Cumulus users use a mix so for those interested in providing data some form of conversion in Cumulus may be necessary.
Unless they have changed the interface (the one that I've written the code for, not the manual interface) since they last gave me the specification, they are using pretty much the same protocol as Weather Underground, where the protocol requires the data in particular fixed units (e.g. wind speed has to be supplied in mph); so Cumulus converts the data into the correct units when it does the upload. It's then up to their web site to provide the options to display the data in other units.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've had a quick look at the WOW site and they actually show the protocol there; it looks like it hasn't changed, so my code should work. I'll register and give it a try - probably tomorrow. If it seems to work OK, I'll look at temporarily disabling the WMR200 code (just to stop anyone wasting time trying it) and get a beta out for people to try.
Steve