Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Your Weather Data can make a difference!

Talk about the weather
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Your Weather Data can make a difference!

Post by RayProudfoot »

Gina wrote:
RayProudfoot wrote:Yes, that's one reason I don't consider my weather data to be up to standard. Good enough for a hobby site but not really to be taken as accurate for this location. I would have extreme difficulty with stability if I were to try to gain any more height. Being situated on the property boundary I can't guy it properly.
But looking overall at your data and the positioning of your sensors I would judge your station to have good enough data for such an exercise. Is wind data that significant? I don't think it is.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

I guess my data compares quite well with other hobby stations and I'll probably upload to other weather sites when I have time to sort things out.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
EvilV
Weather Station: Watson W-8261
Operating System: XP

Post by EvilV »

I don't decry anyone engaging in a hobby and enjoying it. I do it too, though I have disconnected my wind gear to use the pole for something else.

My comments are directed at the idea that a bunch of amateur weather enthusiasts can as the thread title suggests, 'make a difference' in the study of climate change. That is patent rubbish - they can't for all the reasons I pointed out above.

Anyway - let them enjoy their hobby.... On one level it doesn't matter a bit, on the other, some of them may be deluding themselves. However, human beings have been doing that since the dawn of time. I don't suppose they will stop soon. Science though provides a set of criteria for truth and a methodology that allows its participants to test reality. That is why people interested in science can usually come to a clear understanding of what is going on. Faulty methodologies get exposed and discredited and better ones take over. That is what this argument is about, a claim that something can result from a particular group of people engaging in a process. I just happen to believe that process can not achieve what is claimed.

Regards to all, even though we disagree.

:)
EvilV
Weather Station: Watson W-8261
Operating System: XP

Post by EvilV »

hungerdunger wrote:Jason,

I'm no expert, but I can't really see how this project can work. For a start, the trouble with amateur stations is just that - they ARE Amateur, and you can see from many of the posts on this forum that without modification, many cheaper stations don't give reliable information. For myself, I don't trust my temperature readings when in bright sunlight, but once the station gets in the shade of a large oak tree in the afternoon, it suddenly appears more accurate. I'm also suspicious that the rainfall is reading on the high side.

Looking at one of the stations which has signed up, I see he has recorded a high temperature of 33c in February 2009, and also seems to have switched between absolute and relative pressure during the course of last year. If this was typical, then the data becomes untrustworthy.

And of course, climate is not weather, as I'm sure you are aware, and this will need to be a long-term study to be of any use. During that time people will drop in and drop out; they may change or modify their equipment; they may even allow it to fall into disrepair; they may get false readings (as reported here quite frequently) and fail to correct them. So I really cannot see how it will provide "an insight into the changing climate of the United Kingdom". If I have failed to see the value of your endeavours, please put me right.
This post is right in every respect.
6719jason
Weather Station: La-Crosse WS3502
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by 6719jason »

Hello - Statement from IICCP -

I should like to take this opportunity, to apologize to all Cumulus/Non Cumulus Members who have submitted an application to join the IICCP Project and who may/may not have received any response.

The Administration Board Members of IICCP, Have been extremely busy over the last two weeks, Managing Two Full Time Jobs and University Studies.

IICCP is a project that is run and managed in the spare time of the Admin Board.

IICCP Aims to respond within 24hrs but sometimes this can vary.

IICCP wishes to send their sincere apologizes to everyone involved.

Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

6719jason wrote:Hello - Statement from IICCP -

I should like to take this opportunity, to apologize to all Cumulus/Non Cumulus Members who have submitted an application to join the IICCP Project and who may/may not have received any response.

The Administration Board Members of IICCP, Have been extremely busy over the last two weeks, Managing Two Full Time Jobs and University Studies.

IICCP is a project that is run and managed in the spare time of the Admin Board.

IICCP Aims to respond within 24hrs but sometimes this can vary.

IICCP wishes to send their sincere apologizes to everyone involved.

Well, I hope their Maths is better than their English :lol:
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Thanks Jason. I still haven't heard from them but now know the reason why.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.