Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New Record? Post here.

Talk about the weather
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Re: New Record? Post here.

Post by sfws »

RayProudfoot wrote: Sun 09 Feb 2020 12:16 pm My station recorded a new all-time gust of 65mph
My Fine Offset anemometer peaked this morning at 62.1 mph at 07: 31 and then peaked again at 53 mph at 09:11, I'm quite a bit (sort of) south of you. I was very impressed by Cumulus 1's display screen which has varied the wind speed dial scale throughout the day as the gusts varied.

I've only been recording here for less than a month, so I cannot back up claims by BBC Weather that this was worst storm for 7 years.

Earlier, in a strong gust soon after I put my mast up, the rain gauge blew off. I'm glad to say my whole (repaired) installation withstood the prolonged gales today, nearly everything else in my garden moved from front to back in the prevailing south-westerly, although I'm not aware of any building damage in my village.

12mm of rain today with yesterday's 19 mm has filled the brook with much fast flowing muddy water, threatening to flood some village gardens. (Of course last Autumns rain was nearly every day and caused lots of flooding). My front garden had sitting surface water this morning. Ironically, I am working on installing new plastic underground drainage bought recently in a local store with 10% discount event, but between showers yesterday I did not get very far (just replacing portion where tree roots had blocked old clay pipe) and today was not suitable for more trench digging!
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

I've uploaded a high resolution radar snapshot of the LEWP at 11:25am. Rain rates of around 200 mm/hr as well as a hail core.

https://postimg.cc/qgp3XD9r
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

@sfws, you’ve done well to capture such a high gust when the FO only grabs wind every 20 secs or so. It was the strongest gust since 2015 for me.

The rain was almost incidental today as was the temp of 12°C at 11:00 before the squall line arrived. No rainfall rate records broken here.

@Mapantz, thanks for that. I’m right under that intense white area. But just 4 miles away in Wilmslow Mark recorded a gust of around 46mph and missed the worst of it.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

sutne
Weather Station: HP2553 (WS80) and HP2564 (WS90)
Operating System: Raspbian Bullseye and Bookworm

Post by sutne »

Lowest pressure tonight: 959 hpa.
Old record from january 2015 was 966.

They say on the radio that this low pressure makes problems for air traffic. Planes cannot take off because the altimeter can not be trusted when the pressure is too low.
malkie
Weather Station: Davis Vision-Vue
Operating System: Raspbian Jessie

Post by malkie »

Thanks to Storm Ciara I had my highest ‘wind run’ figure yesterday in 10 years of running Cumulus, 197.3 miles.
Also had the highest ever pressure reading last month, 1049 hPa on the 19th Jan.
Malcolm
North Herts, UK
http://elm30net.ddns.net
CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi4 B+ 2GB, running on Raspbian Buster booting from USB SSD
from a Davis Vantage Vue with VP2 ISS.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

malkie wrote: Mon 10 Feb 2020 9:02 am Thanks to Storm Ciara I had my highest ‘wind run’ figure yesterday in 10 years of running Cumulus, 197.3 miles.
Also had the highest ever pressure reading last month, 1049 hPa on the 19th Jan.
Crikey! How different our two locations are. My highest is 432.3 back on 31/3/2015. I'd be interested to know your figure for that day.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

logjam
Weather Station: Homemade station on Raspberry Pi
Operating System: Raspbian on Raspberry Pi

Post by logjam »

My wind run record was broken on 9th Feb 2020 with 439 miles.

Top 5 since 2014

9/2/2020 439
1/3/2018 395
5/12/2015 382
2/3/2018 365
17/3/2018 339

March 2018 was certainly a windy month, on the eastern side of the Pennines, anyway.
sfws

Post by sfws »

My wind run on 9 Feb was 477.4 miles. My (from former Maplin as spare part item number N76NF) Fine Offset annemometer is about 9 metres above ground level on a pole attached to the gable of my garage, so it is not quite as high as official wind measurements, nor is it higher than surrounding houses and trees (although those are several metres away). (As my previous post said, it is a new site, so I can't give previous year comparisions).

As I type this at lunchtime on 15th Feb, Storm Dennis has only just reached here, with 50.6 mph gust at 12:26; it so far seems more peaceful than Storm Ciara, that previous storm bought a tree down to block a nearby road as well as what I reported before. This time nothing significant in my garden has been shifted, but the snowdrops are definitely nodding!
As for the rain, this time it is basically continuous drizzle here, I don't need a coat to go outside, the front garden again has sitting water (because the ground is fully saturated), but the new drainage pipe is working (as far as I got with it).
RayProudfoot wrote: Sun 09 Feb 2020 9:41 pm @sfws, you’ve done well to capture such a high gust when the FO only grabs wind every 20 secs or so.
It might be even more impressive as a posting on the WX forum (http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic= ... #msg278935) suggests that the Fine Offset microprocessor inside the transmitter, reads wind data for 8 seconds, ignores it for 8 seconds, reads it again the next 8 seconds, and then repeats those 3 actions once more within the 48 seconds, presumably because the microprocesser is decoding temperature and humidity readings when it is not reading wind data. Every 48 seconds it transmits back to the console the highest of a 2-second reading, and an average of all the readings.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Equalled my gust record of 54mph again. Wind speed managed 29mph. A window of opportunity between 5am and 7am to beat the record when the LEWP moves through here.
My wind run record from last week was 511.8 miles. I'm on 383 miles at the moment.
sfws

Post by sfws »

Postscript to my previous post.
The continuous drizzle I mentioned of yesterday morning changed to very heavy rain around midnight, peaking at 21.6 mm (almost a whole inch) per hour at 23:46 if the Fine Offset has reported correctly. Some of the village was flooded when everyone had gone to bed!
The overnight flood just reached my front door sill, but the house across the road that had put flood gates in front of its front door and garage door, is rather lower than me and despite those defences, it was flooded to a depth of 6 inches downstairs, the loss adjuster is visiting today.
My new drain seems to have worked, my front and back garden are both waterlogged but neither has any surface water. In contrast the front garden of my neighbour on one side is still under water over 12 hours after the storm peak. The neighbour on the other side is slightly higher than my property and their garden is dry.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

A second all-time record broken today for 2020 which is rare when you've been running a weather station for nearly 11 years! :o

20 days of rain! :roll: Last dry day was 6 February. Shocking.
WetFeb.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

I have only a short track of measurements here, but I can tell you that with more than 23 degrees, The Netherlands at the moment is one of the warmest places in Europa.
And that is very rare. Beginning of April, that is even rarer and in absolute terms, I am not really sure it ever happened on the 6th of April.
It holds for almost the whole of the eastern part of the country, into Belgium to the North of France.
Bizarre feeling after 5 month hardly ever having temperatures above 10 degrees!
200406 Temp High.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

New station record for me.. feels like temperature.. 13.7°C :twisted:
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

New all-time low humidity here - 22%
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

A new monthly record for June. Highest minimum temperature of 16.7C. But that was in the early hours of yesterday. Overnight 24/25 it dropped no lower than 18.9C at 05:26. So if it remains above that temp before midnight that will be the June record smashed.
JuneHigh.jpg
But if it drops lower then I will have to manually edit my records otherwise the record is lost. This situation only happens when midnight is used for day change. If 09:00 is used no tweaking is needed.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.