Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

How come?

Talk about the weather
harrym1byt
Weather Station: WH 1081 (EasyWeather type)
Operating System: Win10

How come?

Post by harrym1byt »

How come almost all of the local to me stations, on the various sites, agree with my systems air temperature within +/- one degree C at 29C, yet the more official stations indicate much lower temperatures, nearer to 24C? It is not solar radiation, because it is overcast, besides my sensor is in a double Stevenson screen. It also feels like 29C and a second outdoor thermometer agrees closely with it.
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Re: How come?

Post by BigOkie »

Microclimate maybe?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I'd agree microclient. the "official" stations tend to be in open grassy areas (airfields, or rural), whereas UK amateur stations are usually suburban or semi-suburban
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

... but harrys location is rural - however when I checked earlier against the 'popular' rather than 'offical' met sources they were more in accord with 'H' :clap:
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
harrym1byt
Weather Station: WH 1081 (EasyWeather type)
Operating System: Win10

Post by harrym1byt »

..and inline now at 05:06 official 19C as reported 05:00 my graph at 05:00 shows 19.2C.

The big differences I was seeing during the hotter parts of the days. Numerous other private stations agreeing generally with my temperature, but wildly different (lower) from official sources.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Hmm, I don't have the exact location, but according to WU, not that rural afai can see, in a suburban estate with a car park not too far away? Certainly not open fields.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

If your station is in a suburban back garden the nearby houses generate a lot of heat. My maxima is always 1-2C higher than Manchester Airport - 3 miles to the west.

In the very cold winter of 2010 my overnight minima was -11C but 2 miles away at my very open and rural work car park my car thermometer registered -15 but at Woodford aerodrome (3 miles away) the Met Office station located at the bottom of a long slope registered -18C.

That shows how much heat is generated in surburban areas. It's not wrong, just micro climate as others have said.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

Mine is usually pretty close to my local airport temperature..usually within a degree or so. The humidity, due to my microclimate is always higher. Here's what my siting looks like.

Red circle is my ISS placement/anemometer placement.
Google Maps.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.