Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Weather Underground Gold star stations

Talk about the weather
gazman
Weather Station: fine offset 1081
Operating System: vista

Weather Underground Gold star stations

Post by gazman »

Hi,

I just noticed on the underground website a little gold medal next to my site, when you hover over it it says this "About Goldstar Stations:
This is a high-quality weather station that has passed our quality control process for 5 consecutive days." I've looked on there site but cant find anymore info, on there process to determine how they decide your station is a gold star station, nice touch and nice to get, would be good to know how? as anyone found out how they came up with it??
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Re: Weather Underground Gold star stations

Post by ConligWX »

Best if you contact them directly if you're looking an official answer.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

vaggos
Weather Station: PROWEATHER STATION 1080
Operating System: XP SP3, win7, Win10

Post by vaggos »

Mine too.
Acharnes Athens Greece Meteo station
http://www.meteoacharnes.gr
https://weather.meteoacharnes.gr/
Thanks Sandaysoft
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

gazman wrote:Hi,

I just noticed on the underground website a little gold medal next to my site, when you hover over it it says this "About Goldstar Stations:
This is a high-quality weather station that has passed our quality control process for 5 consecutive days." I've looked on there site but cant find anymore info, on there process to determine how they decide your station is a gold star station, nice touch and nice to get, would be good to know how? as anyone found out how they came up with it??
I'm guessing if you pass these checks(below) then you get the gold star but i am only guessing.

http://help.wunderground.com/knowledgeb ... -undergrou
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

The whole thing is flawed.

I have had the gold star come and go, and my data is perfectly fine.
My gold star has been missing for days now, since a small rain shower last week. It was near enough the only shower in the whole of England, and because it had a high rain rate, WU must have deemed it rogue data and so the gold star was removed shortly after.

It doesn't make any sense, because there's stations that actually have real issues, such as recording daily rain totals of 1000mm+, or temperatures of 40C, and their stations show a gold star.

It doesn't bother me whether I have the star or not, what bothers me is the lack of consistency and the fact that there is no quality control.
jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Post by jlmr731 »

Mapantz wrote:The whole thing is flawed.

I have had the gold star come and go, and my data is perfectly fine.
My gold star has been missing for days now, since a small rain shower last week. It was near enough the only shower in the whole of England, and because it had a high rain rate, WU must have deemed it rogue data and so the gold star was removed shortly after.
Yep they do come and go, my internet went out for a few hours and they pulled it but now its back, guess you have to give it the 5 days again.

But now you said near enough the only shower in whole of England. Thats a red flag there :lol:
uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Post by uncle_bob »

Mine has one too :)
I bet that wouldn't have happened if I was still using that lousy Fine Offset.
So thanks to Werk_AG and his wonderful WeatherDuino Pro system!
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
VTHokie74
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Rasbian

Post by VTHokie74 »

I noticed the gold star badge on my station last weekend. I wondered what is going on with that. There is another station about a mile from me that was off WU for a month or so. It just came back on line on September 17th and hasn't earned a gold star yet. It must take more than five days to earn one. Maybe it depends on the length of the outage. The other station has a Davis Vantage Vue so I am sure the data quality is good.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2/CumulusMX/Raspberry Pi 3
Lemmz70
Weather Station: Maplins Cheapo
Operating System: W10

Post by Lemmz70 »

Just for the record, I have had a £100 toy weather station from Maplins up for 4 years, the rain sensor has packed up (after several services) and so has the barometer and a gold medal I have. It is literally down to the reliability of your internet connection, they rely on us snitching to report any rogue data.