Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Storm Gertrude

Talk about the weather
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Storm Gertrude

Post by steve »

THX wrote:I wonder if housing structures are under a special code to withstand the types of winds that you experience?
The older stuff here (like half of our house) has thick stone walls and heavy slate roofs. I don't know how much consideration for the wind goes into newer builds - like the newer extension on our house.
Any damage to your homestead and/or surrounding area? I recall last time you had a major storm, you mentioned a greenhouse nearby suffered damage.
Our damage was limited to a chimney cowl that blew off. I heard of someone who lost some guttering, and I believe a fence blew down.
Looks like a 143 mph gust farther north of you:
Cairn Gorm is some way south of us, on the Scottish mainland. But it's a special case - the weather station is at 4000 feet, and very exposed, so gusts of 100 mph and more are common up there. They did have gusts of over 100 mph at lower levels in Shetland (which is north of us).

We have a little bit of snow lying this morning, and it's snowing again now.
Steve
bnwrx
Weather Station: Ambient WS2095 (Fine/Offset)
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by bnwrx »

Steve, I had a look at your website....noticed you "Wind Run" yesterday....OVER 950 miles!!!....Wow, We live in a breezy/windy area(I thought) and our highest Wind Run ever was just under 250 miles. Incredible that your home is still OK. My guess is you did not hang the laundry outside yesterday!

Stay safe!
THX
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by THX »

Would love to see some pics of the Steve homestead of this snow.

Is snow rare in your area?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Snow is very rare here - and what little we had today soon disappeared!
Steve
THX

Post by THX »

Wow, that was your first all-time record since 2014!
Hunter362
Weather Station: Ambient Weather WS-2080
Operating System: Ubuntu 14.4

Post by Hunter362 »

Here in Central New York, my highest (record) wind run was 338 miles, can't even imagine what 950 would have been like!
THX

Post by THX »

Steve: I've noticed that your station has not reported wind for a while. Is your anemometer broken?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I'm afraid so. It was bound to happen not long after I posted that it had done over a billion revolutions. Hopefully the weather over the weekend will allow me to go up and investigate.
Steve
Hunter362

Post by Hunter362 »

steve wrote:I'm afraid so. It was bound to happen not long after I posted that it had done over a billion revolutions. Hopefully the weather over the weekend will allow me to go up and investigate.
Is there a formula or reference as to how many revolutions it takes to record a mile of wind run? (even ball park would be neat) A billion sounds pretty cool!

On a side note build 3037, did you change the way time stamps are written to *.ini files?
ex: 2016-02-25T23:00:00
The (T) between the date and time.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Hunter362 wrote:Is there a formula or reference as to how many revolutions it takes to record a mile of wind run? (even ball park would be neat) A billion sounds pretty cool!
1 mile of wind run is 1600 revolutions, for the Davis anemometer.
On a side note build 3037, did you change the way time stamps are written to *.ini files?
Not in 3037, I don't think, but in a previous build. It used to use the system format, but now uses an ISO 8601 format, to avoid problems where people changed their settings, and the system routines no longer recognised the old format. It could be that I changed today.ini only in a previous build, and the others in 3037.
Steve
Hunter362

Post by Hunter362 »

steve wrote:
Hunter362 wrote:Is there a formula or reference as to how many revolutions it takes to record a mile of wind run? (even ball park would be neat) A billion sounds pretty cool!
1 mile of wind run is 1600 revolutions, for the Davis anemometer.
Close enough, mine would work out to be around 288 million revolutions not even close to a billion, still pretty cool. :D
steve wrote:On a side note build 3037, did you change the way time stamps are written to *.ini files?
Not in 3037, I don't think, but in a previous build. It used to use the system format, but now uses an ISO 8601 format, to avoid problems where people changed their settings, and the system routines no longer recognised the old format. It could be that I changed today.ini only in a previous build, and the others in 3037.[/quote]

ok, just hadn't noticed it before.
THX

Post by THX »

steve wrote:I'm afraid so. It was bound to happen not long after I posted that it had done over a billion revolutions. Hopefully the weather over the weekend will allow me to go up and investigate.
Steve: Good to see your anemometer is back on-line...