Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Recent rainfall in East Sussex

Talk about the weather
calvert249
Weather Station: Maplin's- Fine Offset?
Operating System: Windows Vista

Recent rainfall in East Sussex

Post by calvert249 »

Is there anybody in the East Sussex area, preferably near to Hailsham, who can give me an idea of the total rainfall from, say, 08.00 on 23/12/13? I have recorded amounts that I feel may be spurious and I would like to set my record straight if possible. I would be grateful for any help. Thanks.
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Recent rainfall in East Sussex

Post by nking »

I too have very high rainfall values which I think aren't accurate. However, measuring the values in a bucket do make me think there not that far off. Do you have a website so I can see your values?

However, to answer your question you might like to take a look at the Sussex University results http://www.sussex.ac.uk/weatherstation/index.php
calvert249
Weather Station: Maplin's- Fine Offset?
Operating System: Windows Vista

Post by calvert249 »

Thank you for your response. I am afraid I have not set up a website, partly because I am not happy with the station I am using and I suspect some records along with frequent loss of signal. However, it started raining here around 07.00 on the 23rd and from 11.30 on, it was continuous rain, at times very heavy. By 24.00, the recorded total stood at 160 mm (one hundred and sixty). The next day, the 24th, it continued to rain heavily until approximately 04.30 and then it gradually eased until finally stopping at 14.00; by now, a further 90 mm had been recorded. You can see from these figures why I am suspicious but it DID rain heavily AND without stopping for the best part of 30 hours.
There was extensive local flooding and my garden, although we are on a hill and it is normally well-drained, was sodden. I have looked at the University of Sussex site and the rain they recorded today is very close to the total I have. Looking at their results for the period I am concerned about (23rd - 24th), though, I see that they appear to have recorded 20.6 mm up until 24.00 on the 23rd and then another 9.2 up to around 09.00 on the 24th. Trying to reconcile my readings with theirs, it looks as though mine are incorrect by a factor of 10. However, I am personally convinced that over 75 mm of rain did fall on the 23rd. My bucket (does everyone have a bucket in their garden?) is full to overflowing but, as I had not emptied it prior to Tuesday, I cannot rely on it. I hope you can see my quandary; I am tempted to ignore my readings and just put "Very wet" in my weather diary! I would be interested in what your totals were. Thanks again.
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

As yet I have not altered/edited my totals but you can see all the data on my site, here is a quick link to the climate data http://www.pc-king.co.uk/weather/climate.php .

I'm still concerned about the difference between mine and other sites..... :o

My rain gauge is quite firm and not prone to errors due to the wind, however, it was very windy setting new records for me, hence I'm still not convinced that my data is correct.

Highest Wind Gust 57.0 mph at 23:32 on 23 December 2013
Highest Wind Speed Average 35.7 mph at 01:09 on 24 December 2013